Pre-op eating

LNC62
on 11/12/12 3:24 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
I met with my surgeon's dietician last week for the first time. She took my weight which put me ar a 40.5 BMI. I'm lokking to have surgery the week before Christmas. She recommeneded I start eating low carb and high protein to get used to how it will be after sx. Also, it's ok to start losing weight now since she's confirmed BMI over 40. My insurance doesn't require the 3 or 6 month diet first, which is nice. I'm trying to follow the recommendation but part of me wants to binge on carbs to get it out of my system. Problem is, it's that attitude that got me here in the first place. I think I'm nervous that A) if I lose a few pounds before sx, my metabolism will start to slow down and I won't make the 30lb goal at one month post op. And B). I'm really nervous that I won't be able to maintain the new eating habits required to be successful.

Were any of you veta concerned about the post op eating requrements and whether you could maintain it. I plan on going to support groups but I'm still nervous about it.
Thanks,
Lynn
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/12/12 3:30 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Trust your doc...you will succeed. Not many Cirangle sleevers here are not successful. None in fact that I can recall...And about the carbs, better not to binge on them now because rather than getting them out of your system you will just create cravings and more cravings for them. Just eat healthily and decarb now. It will be easier on you in the post op period.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

jarabacoagirl
on 11/12/12 3:45 am
VSG on 12/17/12

Yes, I've heard the same thing.  Your doctor is known to be among one of the best Sleeve docs in the US!  Trust what he says. :-)

BTW, looks like you and I are having surgery around the same time.   Mine is scheduled for Dec 17th, what's your day? 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

LNC62
on 11/12/12 6:32 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
I don't have a day yet. My psyche eval is tomorrow and then The paperwork will be sent. I'm told my insurance only takes a week. I told the doc I want it done that week and he didn't think it would be a problem.
I'm totally stoked that I live in the bay area where Dr. Cirangle practices. He seems to have the most success overall.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views