Help for those who live alone

LNC62
on 11/16/12 4:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

Here's a question for you vets.  I live by myself and would prefer not to stay with someone or have someone stay with me when I get home from the hosital.  What do you think?  Will I be ok on my own after surgery?

Thanks,

Lynn

michellemj
on 11/16/12 4:25 am

The short answer is yes.

I live alone. My best friend visited me in the hospital and made sure I got home ok (we took a cab home from the hospital). But otherwise, I was fine. You sleep most of the time, and when you aren't sleeping, you are sipping and walking.

Good luck!

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/16/12 5:19 am
VSG on 10/09/12
You will be just fine. But do have a friend on stand by just in case. You never know, you might feel like company.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

CaraS.
on 11/16/12 5:20 am - CA

Yes!  I live alone and I was just fine.  I prepped my house before with the things that I would need for the first week or so after surgery and things went great!  Good luck to you.  

Best,

Cara 

LDallas
on 11/16/12 5:54 am
VSG on 10/25/12
Lynn, i'm the odd man out! I had a rough time in the hospital. My hubby took off the entire week after and i kept telling him it wasn't needed. Boy was i wrong. So glad he was here! I'd say at a minimum have someone first night home.

SW (10/25/12)......303  size 24/26. Age 50

CW: 225  size 14/16

F/5'10"

time4me2now
on 11/16/12 6:11 am
VSG on 05/24/12

You should be okay.  You may want to have someone drive you home from the hospital and go for any prescriptions that you need.  It will help if you have all your post-op supplies ready at home (liquids, broth, tea, vitamins, etc) and if you have someone on stand-by in case you need to make an emergency trip back to the hospital.  I felt fine after surgery, but not everyone does.

HW 266  SW 243  CW 161  

KathyA999
on 11/16/12 7:51 am

I went to MX alone for my surgery and was fine.  (Made friends with the two other ladies who were there at the same time I was, and we walked together, etc.)  As far as at home, I have friends, a married couple, who are retired and travel the country.  I asked them to visit for a couple weeks after my surgery, in case I needed help.  And the truth was, they didn't have anything to do, at least as far as taking care of me.  So if your surgery goes anything like mine did, you'll be fine.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

pineview01
on 11/16/12 8:11 am - Davison, MI

I'm married, but I had the whole house staffed with what I needed.  My DH drove me home and went back to the pharmacy to pick up the meds.  Other than that I did all for myself.  The DH worked outside during the day and slept in the other room at night.  So I usually didn't even see him.  I would get up and walk as needed during the night and he slept thru.  So, as long as you have somebody on standby in case you need a ride you should be OK.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

tanieanie
on 11/16/12 9:18 am - WI

Do have a friend on standby and a cell phone on you at all times.  I had some rough times for a few weeks after my surgery and just standing long enough to shower made me extremely dizzy and needed help out.  This is not the norm but its best to be prepared just in case.

karismommy231
on 11/16/12 9:36 am
VSG on 11/05/12

I live alone as well (except for my two year old but she stayed with her dad for the first week). I was fine. My sister came and  checked in on me once a day for the first 3 days. You will sleep alot as well. I would make sure a friend/family member stops by at least once a day. You may go stir crazy lol. Since you can't drive until you are off the painkillers I would make sure I have someone on standby to get meds and in case you have to go somewhere. BTW make sure you have your house stocked with whatever you post op diet requires for at least a week! GL!

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views