Coffee

lgm
on 11/23/12 4:01 am

How long after surgery were you allowed to have coffee?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/23/12 4:18 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Two weeks

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

justpete
on 11/23/12 4:22 am
VSG on 04/02/13

I'm guessing after you are able to exceed your water intake needs by a good margin?  like the coffee would be over an above (and after ideally) the volume you take in the form of water or protein shakes? that's my guess. you wouldnt want to fill up on coffee and not get your shake or water in.  I did some web searching and found

"studies have shown that caffeine-containing beverages did not impact urinary output any differently than other beverages. Based on this, the Institute of Medicine recommends that "unless additional evidence becomes available indicating cumulative total water deficits in individuals with habitual intakes of significant amounts of caffeine, caffeinated beverages appear to contribute to the daily total water intake similar to that contributed by noncaffeinated beverages."  It does affect your urgency to urinate and the timing of it however.

Spencerella
on 11/23/12 4:39 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I recall reading something similar about how to consider coffee/caffeinated drinks.  I think it said that Id you only drink 1-2 cups (that is cups, not mugs) a day, they can be counted as fluids, but if you drink more than that, the diuretic effect kicks in and you lose more than you gain.  As a result, I count my 1.25 cup morning joe as part of my fluid intake.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/23/12 5:54 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Day 6.

The whole diuretic thing has been disproved, but coffee is mildly acidic and bothers some people. If coffee has been part of your normal diet it probably won't be a problem, but you'd be wise to take it slowly and see how your new tummy feels.
If it sits fine - yay, a yummy way to get in part of your water.

My first while I had trouble drinking a cup of anything quickly enough for it to be hot at the end, so a couple of times a day my hubby would make himself a coffee and give me a small portion in a pretty cup. I do like that man.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

PrettyEyes_41
on 11/23/12 6:14 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

After 2 weeks I was drinking half caf and after 4 weeks back to regular.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

vsgwife
on 11/23/12 6:58 am
VSG on 11/05/12

My husband is 18 days post of and could have decaf from a day after surgery. He drinks quite a bit in the morning!  It all counts toward his daily intake of fluid.  Our NUT says to avoid caffeine, so he is planning to stay on decaf fom here on out.

HW: 327    SW:  314    CW  211    GW:  185     

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views