Grocery Shopping is Weird

Spencerella
on 11/23/12 4:09 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Hi fellow sleevers 

I'm 6 weeks post op (yay me) and I'm doing very well.  I'm now experimenting with new foods, so thought it was high time I did some 'real' grocery shopping. You know, really looking through what is available and spending time reviewing the labels.  

I was pleasantly surprised by what I found, and I don't anticipate any food boredom for a very long time!  It's not like the old days where I could try everything I wanted in one fell swoop!  Something that really struck me was how those normal size packages and bundles of veggies, meats, etc. seemed so HUGE!  My husband is away right now, so I've been freezing leftovers like crazy, but I'm pretty much out of room there too :). 

I was chuckling when I choose a bunch of asparagus, of which I'm likely to eat two, maybe four spears.  Or one banana, which I may eat a quarter of in a shake.  I was downright delighted to see two pre-formed ground beef patties as an option because what could impossibly do with a regular small package of ground beef?

All I could think was how lucky am I to be able to make such wonderful food choices and throw away what I can't use.  Wasteful?  Not in my mind.  Have to eat it because its there?  No way!  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Linda B.
on 11/23/12 6:59 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Both DH and I have had VSG. Our son still lives at home, so I plan on meals that would traditionally serve two people. DS eats one serving and DH and I split the other. I also use the eggface blog for WLS friendly recipes, and double or triple and freeze in single serving containers for taking lunch to work. This past summer, I shared veggies I grew with neighbors and friends as we just couldn't eat all that the garden produced. I froze some too. Also, I have a friend who has RNY several years ago, we share veggie bundles from the farmer's market and that has worked out well. As for meat, I buy in bulk and split the packages into what we will use, then freeze it. This helps the budget. But I agree, it is alright to toss it if it keeps you from overeating. We've done that too.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 97 views