starvation mode?

Taelor S.
on 11/29/12 12:30 pm - IN
I was sleeved last Wednesday. I lost like 11 lbs in the first couple days and since then i haven't lost one single pound. I know stalls are to be expected, but I'm starting to wonder if it might be something more than that. For the past couple days I've had some sort of stomach flu and the only thing i can really stand to swallow .is water. I've been pushing the protein shakes, but its not going well. Is it possible that my body is going into some sort of starvation mode and that's why i haven't lost any more weight? Should i be concerned? I spent the night in the er last night and my surgeon didn't seem very concerned and said that it should pass in a day our two. Has anyone else had this experience?

[link=http://www.3fatchicks.com/] [image noborder]http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-leopard/cartoonstar01/lb/374/175/339/.png[/image][/link]

SuzyNZ
on 11/29/12 3:21 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
You have just had major surgery. It's going to take some time to readjust. If you have been feeling sick, you are possibly also retaining fluids. That said, fluid is the most important thing to focus on at this point, so keep drinking as much as you can.

Starvation mode doesn't happen until a body has used ALL its fat reserves (ie. it's gets to under 5% body fat). It is not an issue for overweight people.

Remember that your weight didn't go on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight.

Just keep drinking your fluids and don't obsess about the scale. It will come off.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Keith L.
on 11/29/12 9:33 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Your body is healing, don't look at the scale right now, it will happen. Get past all your post op diet requirements to food and then start looking at the scale. Right now you have no control over what and how your body reacts. Chances are you probably are not getting enough fluid so your body will retain water, which is the case in most stalls as far as I can tell.

The last thing you should be concerned about right now is the scale. You have two things that you need to worry about: fluids and protein. Right now your body is swollen and inflamed and doing everything it can to heal on the very little bit of nutrition it is getting right now.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 69 views