Are those hunger pains? Don't think I've ever had them before.

Sunset1374
on 12/3/12 4:13 am - CT
VSG on 11/28/12

Ok, I'm 5 days post op!!!  Oh yeah I made it.  But I have a strange pain in my stomach.  Are those hunger pains???  They  come and go in waves.  Once I eat something or drink something they subside quite considerably.  Am I not eating enough???  You know, I thought I had this down.  I don't think I'm eating enough.  I'm taking my 2 oz of carnation instant breakfast at breakfast, lunch and dinner, then drinking all I can in between.  I'm doing almost 32 ounces.  Although today could no longer stand the sweet so I used unjury unflavored in some tomato soup - that was good and I've already reached my 32 ounces of water.  Any other suggestions??? 

Wildcat-NYC
on 12/3/12 4:17 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Are you taking a PPI?  Also, you need to be at 64 oz of liquids at a minimum to avoid dehydration.

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Sunset1374
on 12/3/12 10:57 am - CT
VSG on 11/28/12

I'm working on my water.  Today I got in close to 40 ounces - and still going strong.  Each day will get better.  I was always a good water drinker and still enjoy drinking water.  If I just adjust a few things, I know I will get there.  Thanks for your help

mimij
on 12/3/12 4:21 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

If you can tolerate more liquid protein now and dr hasn't told you otherwise, then do it. I was taking about 3 oz liquid protein every 3 hrs during the day and then drinking crystal light and water in between. I get those same pains you are describing when hungry now. Hardly ever did before surgery because I ate nonstop. Now I can tell when my body needs food. I think this is how normal weight people are. They eat when they are hungry and stop before they are stuffed.

When sick of sweet shakes, try Unjury chicken soup.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Sunset1374
on 12/3/12 10:52 am - CT
VSG on 11/28/12

I'm going to have to look up the unjury chicken soup. I've heard very good things about them along with the tomato soup.  I home can all my own soups, I may just open a jar and add some unflavored unjury and try it out - duh I really didn't think of that until just now.  I just can't do the shakes the smell of one sends me running in the other direction. I really just don't think I'm eating enough because once I eat the pain is gone for a few hours but return.  I've never been "hungry" before so this is all new.  Thanks for the help.  I think I will e-mail my surgeon and tell him about maybe upping my protein to 3 oz and see if that works.  I think it will - i just think I need to make minor adjustments.

emelar
on 12/3/12 4:37 am - TX

Acid or just normal post-op spasms, that's my guess.  If you're not on an acid reducer or PPI, you might need one.  Keep drinking!

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/12 5:41 am

My guess is that you are experiencing acid.  Are you on a PPI?  Even if you are, you might consider changing it to a different one or changing the dosage. I would speak with your doctor.

Sunset1374
on 12/3/12 10:42 am - CT
VSG on 11/28/12

I really do believe it is a combination of acid and hunger.  I'm taking my protein drinks breakfast, lunch and dinner and drinking and eating jello in between. I'm only taking 2 ounces and don't think that is enough for me. I may adjust that to 3 ounces and see if I get any relief. The big problem I'm having (which I never thought I would ever) is once I have something new I love it the first time then gag it down after that.  If i loved it before surgery(except for sweets) i still love it.  it's just the new stuff I've added in.  The thoughts of a shake makes me nauseous just thinking of them. I'm putting the unflavored unjury in everything to help me get through because there are so many things that I just can't get down.  Even the gas relief chewables.  they are cherry flavor and I gag them down each and every time.  Other than that, I feel great believe it or not.  I think I just need to adjust a few things.  What do you think?  BTW what is PPI?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/3/12 12:43 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
PPI is a proton pump inhibitor or acid reducer. I was on Nexium for six weeks after surgery to protect the stomach while it is healing and to prevent heart burn while getting used to food again. I am off it now for two weeks and have no issues with either hunger or acid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/12 1:25 pm

I think you might really need to speak to your doctor about getting a PPI prescription.  I think hunger mimics acid and a good PPI should take care of this.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 84 views