Pre op day 3 on Optifast. Can I chew and spit ONE bite of chicken?

MissDannie
on 12/16/12 3:33 am - CA

My surgery is on December 21st! SO CLOSE!!! My doctor and his staff worked hard to squeeze me in before the end of the year.

So I started the Optifast shakes on Friday, and that is all I am allowed to have. So far I have not cheated and do not intend to swallow anything BUT Optifast, & water.

Since friday night I have been craving Spicy Chicken, and I know this is pathetic, but Its driving me crazy and I just want a piece!!

SO I was wondering if I would be able to chew a bit & then spit it out, or would that mess up the liquid diet? I think I would get some unwanted calories from chewing and spitting it, BUT not a whole lot..

Has anyone does this before? Is it bad? Any info would be appreciated, but please be nice.

Wildcat-NYC
on 12/16/12 3:36 am
VSG on 08/16/12

It is bad and disordered eating.  What's next swallowing and purging...

Stick to your pre-op diet.  You are strong enough and can do it...

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
karismommy231
on 12/16/12 3:51 am
VSG on 11/05/12

I was on optifast pre-op. Can you have the optifast soups or bars or just the shakes?? The optifast tomato soup and the chocolate bars saved me. I was also allowed to have a small bit of salad for lunch each day. 

What are you allowed other than optifast shakes?

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

MissDannie
on 12/16/12 4:04 am - CA

Only the shakes, my doctor normally wants us to do 10 days of a liquid diet, but Ill only be doing 5-6 days since they squeezed me in before the end of the years. I miss chewing stuff! LOL.

Would chewing gum be allowed? 

karismommy231
on 12/16/12 4:13 am
VSG on 11/05/12

I chewed gum. Just don't swallow. Wow that is tough. I'm sorry. I think I would of torn out my hair without the bars and soups. Call your surgeons office tomm and speak to the nutritionist or whoever is in charge of the pre-op diets and ask if you can at least have sf jello? or sf popsicles? GL!

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/12 4:15 am
LNC62
on 12/16/12 5:12 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

My doc said chewing gum is fine.  Don't start chewing and spitting food.  That is the thin of the wedge for an eating disorder.  Take a few deep breaths and imagine food is toxic right now.  (You might notice that your breathing becomes shallower when you start obsessing over the food) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views