Full liquid diet How many calories should we be having on this stage?

jarabacoagirl
on 12/22/12 10:02 am
VSG on 12/17/12

I'm on the full liquid diet.  I'm 5 days post op.  I was just wondering about how many calories I should be having in this phase.  I know once we are to the unrestricted phase it's 600-800.  I honestly could fit 600 now which is odd cause yesterday and the days before I could not fit near that much at all. 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

T_MOM
on 12/22/12 10:08 am - MN

I asked the same question.  I was told that calorie counting is in my past 'DIETING" life.  As long as I follow the protein and fluids as specified, there is no need to count calories.  I know this is different from other posts I've seen.

ruggie
on 12/22/12 10:44 am - Sacramento, CA

I think this is a recipe for failure.  If I grazed all day on carby, fatty foods, I could still get 2,000 - 4,000 calories in a day.  I really encourage you to ignore that advice.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

T_MOM
on 12/22/12 1:03 pm - MN

I guess I didn't phrase that right.  As long as I follow my meal plan, getting my protein in first and focusing on my calorie free fluids, I don't have to count calories.

I can see how grazing all day on fatty foods, you could easily get too many calories.

KnitsByMama
on 12/22/12 10:09 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

The 2 numbers you need to focus on are liquids & protein! At this point calories aren't your focus.

SuzyNZ
on 12/22/12 10:22 am
VSG on 09/17/12
At 5 days post op, your number one priority is fluids. Protein is secondary.

While you are on fluids, you have no real restriction and won't have any kind of full feelings as your nerves are damaged from surgery.

So don't worry about calories at this point. Just stick to your plan and focus on hydration and your protein shakes.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

FirstLadyPrez1
on 11/21/17 1:17 pm - CT

I know this was written several years ago but i just has surgery 8 days ago and was wondering why i wasn't feeling full!! I came looking here and you answered my question perfectly! Thank you!

happyteacher
on 12/22/12 11:13 am

For now, the focus should be on staying hydrated and getting protein in.  If you are getting all your protein in then 600 calories or so is very reasonable.  Don't be alarmed if you are not having trouble, not all of us do.  I had no difficulty early out getting in all the protein and fluids.  Do not eat though just because you can.  Make a plan, measure it out, and stick to it.  Nothing more than a couple ounces right now.. maybe 2 or so at a time, and many would struggle with even that.  Just a gentle reminder that the nerves in your stomach are not working right so you will not "feel" full- so it is critical to measure.  Don't feel that you have to eat 600 or 800 calories right now... if you are hitting your targets of protein without getting that high then take advantage of this time, assuming this does not go against the advice of your medical team. 

Ruggie is right about the carb thing.  It would not be any problem at all for me to eat 4000+ calories a day if that is the path I chose.      You need to really take care to build positive habits, healthy choices, etc. during the first several months.  You will need them to carry you through to goal and even more so in maintenance.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

mickeymantle
on 12/22/12 2:34 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i think if your getting all your protein early on its hard to get much carbs in unless you try on purpose

or drink the wrong kind of protein shakes ( the weight lifters type has lots of carbs) 

felinemommy
on 12/23/12 12:22 am - NH

Congrats on your surgery...........I'm not on this forum very often anymore, but when we last spoke you were at the beginning of considering WLS!

I agree with the previous posters and everything they've said.  Two points that I would STRONGLY reinforce:  1) The nerves in your stomach are unreliable you can OVER do it, so MEASURE and just strive to hit your fluid and possibly your protein goals. (The protein goals may or may not take a bit to attain, depending on sensation and swelling.)  2) The most important thing:  you are now in the learning phase of establishing NEW HABITS.  Don't waste this time, it is precious and FLEETING.  Learn how to eat based on quality and measured quantity.  Learn to be satisfied WITHOUT the FULL feeling!  Later, when you have more capacity, it will be easy to regain if you don't really internalize a new way of eating/living!

Finally, get active as quickly and regularly as possible!  It really boosts your weight loss and tones the body.  You will need the activity when you get further out and for lifelong good health!

Best wishes!

LilySlim - (TZ0U)

Maintain daily activity levels and practice clean eating........still battling some unhealthy behaviors!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views