The Obesity Paradox

msgypsylee
on 1/1/13 10:35 am

This is an interesting article on what researchers are calling the obesity paradox. Basically they've discovered that being overweight or even slightly obese not necessarily as bad as convention tells us. As it would seem being morbidy obese or thin is has a lower mortality rate than those with a little meat on their bones. I wonder if this will effect the BMI/Ideal weight charts in the future?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20121228/extra-pounds-longer-life?src=RSS_PUBLIC

bigred_z
on 1/1/13 4:19 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

My take on it was ppl with "a few extra pounds" may not be at risk for early death.  I didn't read anything about being slightly obese having this same result.  It also specified that despite huge amounts of data, that co-morbidities weren't the issue, just early mortality.  In other words, they didn't assess in the study if a "few extra pounds" caused the heart issues, the joint issues, and diabetes that are associated w obesity.  They just said that being "a few extra pounds" won't kill you any faster than your 110lb counterpart. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views