I love carbs!

frisco
on 1/18/13 5:07 pm, edited 1/18/13 6:10 pm

The question you have to ask yourself......

Why do people on higher carb plans have a harder time making goal ??????

And I'm talking about a goal weight at, below or near a normal BMI...... 

And remember....... It's not up to me to prove it..... It's up to you to disprove it !!!!

Yes, If you can lose the weight on a higher carb plan (some can do it) ...... you win !!! That would be best case scenario..... how lucky do you feel???

To the OP....... let us know when you make goal and share how you did it !!!! I congratulate and give props to anybody who can do this any way possible.

There is a term...."You can argue with me, but you can't argue with my success" (I'm not referring to me.... just reciting the term)

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Virgie Tschirhart
on 1/18/13 11:27 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

I agree with you Frisco.  Good reply!

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

Nancybefree
on 1/18/13 8:03 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

Kelli M, may I ask what carb foods you are eating and in what quantity?  May I also ask what protein foods you eat?

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

mary d
on 1/18/13 8:17 pm, edited 1/18/13 8:17 pm

Refined and processed carbs are the enemy  They are unnatural and a steady diet of them will make most of us fat and sick  They are addictive to me  

I feel best when I eat the diet my ancestors evolved on.  If I eat fish, lean meat, lots of veggies, olive oil, cheese, nuts and fresh fruits, 

I feel good. 

You may not be as carb sensitive as some others.  Diabetes runs in my family,  I got away with being fat and eating refined carbs until recently.  now that I am 63, I am pre diabetic.  I am still able to eat lots of veggies, some fruit and the cheese and olive oil that that keeps my diet tasty and healthy.  I dont like just protein, it doesnt agree with my digestion.  

I also dont limit myself to anything under 1200 cal.  You as an individual must find what is going to work for you in the long term. What you can get away with when you are young, doesnt hold out forever.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Avererage
on 1/18/13 9:04 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/15/12

I find this thread very interesting.  I am from Canada.  I have been trying to follow 40g or less of carbs  because that is what almost all of the people here on OH have been told by their nutritionist.  Last week I saw my nut.  My urine and blood test showed a high level of ketones.   We discussed my diet.  She was truly horrified to learn I was trying to eat so little carbs.  She claims it is a very slow death.  Yes, you lose weight, but at what cost?  I trust her fully.  She says your brain solely feeds on carbs and your body needs a bare minimum of 65g to survive, but even at that it is the bare minimum.  I know some people here ARE in fact huge "carb-bashers" and also find it frustrating when people jump on others for eating carbs.  I was sooooo shocked to hear that I was compromising my health by eating too few carbs.  I have had this surgery because I want to be healthy, not because I want to be skinny!  Reaching goal in an unhealthy way does not equate success.

Missymellie33
on 1/18/13 10:54 pm
Well said! There are unhealthy ways to lose the weight. If you want to follow the low carb diet, and its the best way to go, why did you have surgery? Don't get me wrong I followed the low carb diet for years and it has its pluses but what about the long term effects? If you exercise,peating a moderate amount of carbs shouldn't be a problem. That's if you exercise.....
sleevegirl
on 1/18/13 11:04 pm - Austin, TX

She's confusing the various forms of ketosis - a few links that might help you understand.

BTW, I'm not advocating either way - ask anyone here, I'm all for whatever works for you and your own belief system and body type. Just wanted to clear up that misconception. It's a pretty common one that even medical professionals make.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/is-ketosis-dangerous

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/ 201104/your-brain-ketones

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/06/22/are-low-car b-diets-bad-for-the-brain/

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/18/13 11:14 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
No disrespect to your Nut, and I am certainly not a scientist, (but am also from Canada) but there are many many scientific studies out there that say we - adult humans - actually don't need carbs. The brain feeds on glucose. Everything we eat in the end is transformed into glucose chains. That is why a higher protein diet is recommended. Because protein is also broken down into glucose to feed our brains.

This is just one example:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129159/

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Spencerella
on 1/19/13 2:27 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
What an interesting and important discussion this had turned into! This article and others reference not only the lack of importance of carbs in the diet, but just as importantly, how keeping carbs on the lower side encourages lean body mass.

A recent example of this is my husband, who is well within normal weight range. He had a benign cardiac incident and his cardiologist pointed out that my husband is carrying a lot of fat around his middle - which the cardiologist directly attributed to high carb intake.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/13 12:52 am
VSG on 06/04/12

I do not follow low carb per se, I just eat my protein first and it falls naturally that way. I really only keep track of calories and protein.

I don't think anyone here is debating that you need high protein to maintain your muscle, including and especially your heart, when losing massive amounts of weight. So I guess my question is, if you're getting in the requisite amounts of protein, how do you manage to get in carbs too?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views