What to do when you feel sick and weak? 1 month post op

MissDannie
on 1/21/13 2:36 am, edited 1/21/13 2:37 am - CA

Im 1 month post op VSG, and for the past three days I've been very very weak, and since yesterday around 2pm, very nauseous to the point where a sip of water makes me feel like I'm going to throw up.

For the past 2 weeks Ive been doing good on getting at least 60g of protein in each day, low carb (under 20g a day) Low fat (under 20g a day) and low sugar (under 20g a day).

Yesterday I did not get all my protein in because I was very nauseous after every sip/bite.

and today, I took about 2 sips of a protein shake and 2 sips water and 1 hour late I still feel like I am going to puke.

I've taken anti nausea meds and they don't really help much.

I've called my dr and they said this was normal, so now Im coming to you guys.

What do you do when something like this happens? Any tips or advice would be great!

sarapilar
on 1/21/13 3:10 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I don't know, I am new myself, but I always see posts where when the person takes Prilosec medication for heartburn relief, everything gets better.  It seems as if that is the missing piece.  Just wanted to put it out there.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

MissDannie
on 1/21/13 3:15 am - CA

Thanks for the reply.

Im already on Prilosec, and I don't think this is Heartburn related.

Sarah W.
on 1/21/13 3:14 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
I'm glad you called your doc, mine said to call them if I wasn't getting in 40 oz of liquid minimum. Do you know how much liquid you're taking in? How's the output? You don't want to get dehydrated.

Have you tried different temperature liquids? From ice cold to hot and everywhere in between, there may be a temp that agrees with you more, even if it's jus****er.

How about soups or broth? How about SF Jello or SF Popsicles?

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

MissDannie
on 1/21/13 3:19 am - CA

On the average day I get 42-48 ounces of clear liquids in. Today, Ive only drank about 10 ounces, because I feel soo sick.

The output? As in #1? Smelly and medium yellow, has been for the past 2 weeks.

I've tried a bunch of temps, in the beginning ice cold was what my sleeve liked, now it doesnt like anything.

I might try some broth today, Ive been put off by it ever since I threw it up at the hospital.

hollykim
on 1/21/13 3:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

You are likely dehydrated . that is not enough liquid a day. And it is NOT normal.

You are in the vicious cycle where dehydration makes you nauseated so you can't drink because of the nausea which makes you more dehydrated. You will likely not get out of this cycle unless you go to the ER for fluids,which is what I recommend you do. Now . Right now. dehydration can be deadly.

GL and please report back.

Rubielee
on 1/21/13 3:33 am - OR
VSG on 02/14/13

Perhaps it's a gallbladder issue.  So sorry your feeling yucky. good luck!

Jackie T.
on 1/21/13 3:43 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Could it be the flu?  I am a newbie also but I would just find anything that you can drink that helps to settle your stomach and not worry about eating for another day or two.

The goal is to get the protein back up but if it is the flu, you need to stay hydrated and let it run its course.  If your not getting your protein in you are going to feel weak/tired.

I would call them again in a couple of days if you don't start feeling better.

Take it easy and I hope you feel better soon!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

mickeymantle
on 1/21/13 4:05 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

SOUNDS LIKE THE FLU TO ME ALSO  , did you have a flu shot, I would call my doctor and see what he says

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MeSkinny8
on 1/21/13 4:22 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I have these same symptoms if I do not have a bowel movement.  Are you having regular BM's?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views