Dehydrated??

AppyGrl
on 1/26/13 7:08 pm
VSG on 01/23/13

I had the VSG on Wednesday and I am having a very hard time getting in the 64oz of water.  When I drink water if feels like a rock at the bottom of my stomach.  Is this normal?  My husband states I am dehydrated.  Since I have left the hospital I probably had only 30oz of water total.  My husband is setting me to very strict drinking schedule right now and I have gotten 8oz in the last little bit to get into a rythum, but I want to know does that rock in the stomach feeling normal?

Ctteacher
on 1/26/13 7:37 pm
VSG on 11/12/12

Yes, it is indeed normal.  But I worry that you have only had 30 ounces total for the last 4 days!!  Fluids, more than anything else, should be your number one priority, or you will become dehydrated.  Several people here have had that happen, and they've had to go back to the hospital.  No Fun!!  

Did the hospital give you the little sip cups?  Try like mad to get an ounce in every 15 minutes (keep a log).  Try walking around after drinking so perhaps it won't sit like a rock.  Your stomach is swollen and brand new so you have to baby it a little, but you have to get the fluids in.  Sip, walk, rest, repeat!!  Good luck!

Antimony40
on 1/26/13 8:37 pm, edited 1/26/13 8:59 pm - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

above poster suggested sip cups, which is a great idea.  also, try different temperatures of water--cold water STILL hits my stomach like bricks, even at almost 8 weeks out...do everything you can to get in the water, it's the most important thing, and lack of water can make you NOT wan****er, which is a vicious cycle.

Also meant to mention to try some flavored water--crystal lite or mio.  When I first came home from the hospital, lemonade flavored crystal lite was perfect (wanted nothing SWEET)...you have to play around with it a bit to get what works for you, dont be afraid to try things that wouldn't seem normal pre-surgery...

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

abeautifulday21
on 1/26/13 9:06 pm
VSG on 11/26/12

I could not drink water either when I first came home but cool not cold crystal light worked like a charm.  What the other poster above said - play with the temps of things.  I can now drink water but it sits differently for some reason.  You have got to get the fluids in or you will have some more issues develop including kidney stones if not careful.  Praying for you!

abeautifulday21    
girlygirl1313
on 1/26/13 9:12 pm - Davidson, NC

The hard rock feeling is normal.  Mine felt like a knot for a couple of weeks.  I guess that's the swollen tummy. The little cups worked well for me and my husband kept them lined up and ready to go by my bedside.  I wasn't perfect at getting everything I needed down the first week but I knew that was my first priority and it truly was a full time job! Every day gets a little better. 

~GG

Rita M.
on 1/26/13 11:16 pm - Webster, MA

Hi,

I have had that problem and it felt like a cramp or spasms when I put anything in my stomach even, water. It went away eventually and I also had and still have the problems with getting 64 oz in a day. Mu NUT said if I can make 40 oz  day it is good too. 

I tried different temps and also different types of fluid and it helped me when I drank room temp instead of ice cold. I also have an IPhone and I set the alarm for every 10 min and then I would take 3-4 small sips every time the alarm went off. That helped a lot.  

It will increase in time, but you have to force yourself to drink, every 10 min at least 3 small sips and keep it up and pretty soon it will be second nature and you will drink it automatically. Good luck Honey.

Hugs,

Rita

AppyGrl
on 1/27/13 1:06 am
VSG on 01/23/13

Thanks everybody, My Hubs wrote the above post looking for answers after I woke him up at 5 am not feeling quite right. We in turn decided that it was time to head to the ER. There I received 2.5 liters of fluid and found out that I was developing a UTI due to the lack of hydration.

Thank you for your insight. It seems that my taste have changed a few times but mostly warm liquids go down easier. I am feeling better now with fluids running through my body as well as more nausea meds and antibiotics.

Working on the shot method currently. 

thinnersinner
on 1/27/13 2:10 am

The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago...ER for dehydration.  It's a battle to get in the fluids at first, but it's gotten way better since then.  Glad you have a supportive hubby to look after you!  Take care of yourself!

SafariJoe
on 1/27/13 2:44 am - Livermore, CA

What a great supportive husband you have. I found that the soups hot was a good way for me to get the fluids I needed in the first week. I also did a lot of walking which seem to help that feeling in the bottom of the stomach. I am only 12 days post-op. Each day hopefully will get better for you.

Antimony40
on 1/27/13 3:54 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

glad you guys decided to go in and get fluids...he seems like a great guy, supporting and worrying about you!! angry

Feel better!

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views