phase one ??

AppyGrl
on 1/28/13 1:25 am
VSG on 01/23/13

So I am in the middle of phase one... I am working hard(feels like chugging) to get my water in and also trying a few broths and thin soups. During phase one should I be concerned about not drinking water with my meal? should I be waiting 30 mins after I eat to resume my H2O consumption?

For Breakfast I was able to get down 2oz of a protein shake and afterward I felt like I had eaten thanksgiving dinner and took a 30 minute nap. I just finished my lunch (strained egg drop soup) and feel ok. I am also working on taking my time while 'eating'. I managed to stretch out 2 oz of soup in 10 mins. I know I have got to eat slower.  

SO MANY THINGS TO CONSIDER

nmcmanus66
on 1/28/13 1:35 am - CA

I had my sleeve on monday the 21st and I feel you're pain. I'm now on full liquids, thinned cream of wheat, thinned soups etc... and I sat down with a small bowl of soup and nearly devoured it and thought, oh no i feel sick almost in pain and how much was that???

this process is ALL consuming. I'm really glad actually that at 46, my kids are grown and no one needs me right now you know what I mean? there is no way I could do this if my girls were small and I had to worry about school and homework and sports.....

I like that it's really totally all about me!! I don't think we are supposed to drink at all with our meals, ever. I was told not to drink anything at least 30minutes before a meal and up to an hour after.

Good luck to you friend!! We are on an amazing journey xoxo1

AppyGrl
on 1/28/13 1:59 am
VSG on 01/23/13

Thanks for the reply... my team said the same thing about 30 mins before and 30 mins after. I just am not sure if this applies to the thin liquid stage. We all muddle through i guess. I wish I had nothing else on my plate right now. Even though we do not have children yet we signed a contract to buy a house 3 days prior to surgery and on Feb 13th my hubs is having a much needed shoulder surgery. I guess we are a glutton  for punishment sometimes. I am however glad that I took 3.5 weeks off of work to recover. 

Thanks again for the encouraging words and friendship.

JAlston
on 1/28/13 1:57 am
VSG on 12/07/12

My surgeon's rules are to wait 30 minutes after eating to resume drinking. There are no restrictions on stopping drinking a certain amount of time before eating though (I know others plans are like that). My stage one plan had me drinking/eating something every hour because of hour long it takes and the necessity to get it all it. I am 7 weeks out and it takes me 20-30 minutes to eat. In the beginning I ate with a baby spoon so that I was tempted to eat faster and I would use small containers and put it down in between bites. It really is re-training yourself to eat.

In the beginning it really is a constant sipping in order to get in your fluids. My protein shakes counted towards my liquid goal (I am not sure if yours do as well). I had restriction even with liquids early out I assume because of swelling (but everyone is different). I am not sure what your liquids/protein goals are but there was never anything less then 8oz at a time on my schedule. It really is a full time job figuring out how to get your goals but you will get it.

Keep at it! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions! kiss

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

AppyGrl
on 1/28/13 2:02 am
VSG on 01/23/13

Thanks for the support Jessica!

Janet M.
on 1/28/13 2:29 am - WA
VSG on 12/27/12

I am 4 weeks out and my surgeon very specifically said not to start the 30/before 30/after until I progressed to the mushy stage.  I wasn't eating anything that would cause the pyloric Valle to close and waiting at that stage didn't allow me enough time to get in all my liquids for the day.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views