Newly Sleeved!

sunny_disposition
on 1/29/13 10:02 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

I was sleeved on Monday! I still can't believe I did it! heart I was wondering when I can expect the gas pain to go away?  I've been walking as much as I can, but I still feel pain in my neck and shoulders. They sent me home last night with some pain meds, I'd like to use them as little as possible, but I woke up at 1am, and felt like I absolutely needed one. When were you able to stop using them? I had planned to go back to work this coming Monday,  anybody do this successfully?  I'm so excited to be on the other side! Having trouble getting down anything other than a teensie baby sip every 5-10 minutes, is this to be expected? Any other tips any sleevers could throw my way would be greatly appreciated!

JAlston
on 1/29/13 10:15 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

Congrats! I felt the same way, I couldn't believe I really did it...but here I am almost 8 weeks out. No regrets! Luckily I only had the shoulder gas pain in the hospital (my drain was pushing on my diaphragm, so once they took it out the pain was gone). Walking was really the only thing that helped with the gas, it moved it around which felt better. I couldn't seem to burp or fart to save my life for a couple days but then it moved so keep moving, it will move. I used Gas X as well, you could try that.

I used pain meds the first few nights at home, my back pain was the worst but I stopped taking the meds because they weren't helping with my back pain and I didn't feel like I needed them for my stomach. However, everyone is different. Use them at your discretion, only you know your pain tolerance.

My friend had surgery 6 months before me and went back after only being out a week, we both work desk jobs. She went back for half days because she was just exhausted. Our surgeon recommends 2 weeks, my nurse ended up extending my leave for 4 weeks total, I didn't mind! I work a very fast paced stressful desk job so I needed to focus on relearning how to drink/eat enough to keep my goals priority.

Yes, sipping is crucial. You have restriction with drinking now because of swelling, that will go away once the swelling goes down and you can get liquids in faster. You will be drinking all the time in order to get to goal, otherwise you never would, your tummy is just too little right now to handle too much. Slow and steady!

Feel free to pm me anytime if you have questions and good luck, I wish you a speedy recovery! kiss

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

rhinorg
on 1/29/13 10:38 pm

Awesome, beautiful new day..congrats..  stay excited and live without regret

AppyGrl
on 1/29/13 10:48 pm
VSG on 01/23/13

You sound like you are really coming along way. I would highly encourage you to get your water under control as fast as possible. I had to take Zofran dissolvable tabs to curb the nausea that sipping brought on. Then my lack of fluid intake landed me in the ER getting 2.5 liters of fluid to catch up. so I guess what I am saying is that you need to be working at one full ounce every 12-15 minutes and you will do this from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed. I did two days straight of taking water 'shots' to get me in my groove. I am now a week out and feeling so much better.

Try differen****er temps try decafe hot tea, try zero calorie water flavors like Mio.

Hope this helps and best wishes on returning to work Monday.

Missy H.
on 1/29/13 11:09 pm - OH

Good For you! I had mine on Jan. 23rd. So today is 1 week for me and I feel good. I had a little gas. Walking definitely helps with that and I had very little pain. I am eating about 2-3 oz. 3 or 4 times a day. It takes a while and you will feel better each day. 

Lotsa luck and stay strong!

Missy

lookforchange
on 1/30/13 2:36 pm
VSG on 03/21/13
Congrats! no advice from me since I'm pre-op, but I'm sure I'll be asking my fair share.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views