7 days post op- dumping and dizzy.. Help!

loralorabobora
on 2/3/13 11:24 am - NY

I had my surgery 1/28.  I did great in the hospital and great on the clear liquid diet.  I have lost 10 lbs since surgery and 30 in total.  I started full liquids and this is when they told me to start getting the protein into my diet.  I have some protien powder and have tried it several ways, tried it in milk, tried it in water and even coffee... i dumped it everytimeit was awful.  This is the only thing that I have not been able to tolerate... I was getting so weak that I started my pureed diet 2 days early so that I could have some kind of calories!  I did fine with the food, I had some applesauce, peanut butter and some mashed up meatballs over the past two days, but way less than I need.  I just got a different brand of protein (a premade shake) and finished it, I am hoping that I will keep it down this time, but I am already feeling queasy!  Has anyone else had a problem with the protein after surgery? 

Also today, I have been feeling very dizzy everytime that I get up from laying down or sitting, I have had to stablize myself for a second everytime all day.  I think it is my lack of nutrients?

One more question? About how much water or liquids can you typically drink at a time? Can you hurt yourself if you drink a glass in a couple of minutes?  or is it just how you feel?

Cindy B.
on 2/3/13 12:39 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

I'm not sure how fast you're drinking your protein shakes, but it might help to slow down. Every person's plan seems so different, but I wasn't transitioned to pureed foods until about 3 weeks post-op. I think my doctor was one of the strictest on the first month diet after surgery. You could also try different protein powders and see if they bother you. Our tummies can be a bit more sensitive after the surgery than they were before.

The dizziness might be from not getting enough liquids in. That can be a sign of dehydration. Keep trying to get the protein in, but also focus on other liquids. I remember I was supposed to "sip" liquids at a week out of surgery, so I really don't think we're supposed to be able to drink a glass of water or liquids in a couple of minutes. It seemed to take me forever to drink a cup of herbal tea or broth. (Forever meaning around 45 minutes.) I hope this helps. 

loralorabobora
on 2/3/13 1:05 pm - NY

Thank you for responding. I did end up keeping the different brand down thank goodness!!! I think it's the powdered kind that I couldn't take. I feel better already! I think your right about the dehydration. I got more water in today than I did yesterday, and ill try for more tomorrow, I was getting scared because I was getting almost no protein and I have to return to school tomorrow feeling so crappy.  I know what you mean about all the drs being different, I feel bad for those people that have to be on liquids for weeks after surgery, my puréed was supposed to start after 1 week. 

Sleeveless
on 2/3/13 5:36 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Glad to hear you're doing a bit better. Do keep sipping slowly and steadily, and be sure to get your 64 ounces of liquids. Stay off the coffee as it might be too acidic for your tummy at this stage. Staying hydrated will help ward off the nausea.

Work on getting your protein drinks in. Don't worry about too few calories. Your body should be able to work off your stored fat as long as you get in your proteins.

Good luck. It does get better!

Jackie T.
on 2/3/13 10:01 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You know that saying "liquid in liquid out".  For the first two weeks that was everything for me.  Your plan seems to move pretty quickly if after one week you are already on a pureed meal.  I didn't start protein until the 2nd week.   I have a lot of problems with hamburger, it is getting better but it tends to always make my stomach hurt after I eat it.  You might want to try cottage cheese, soups, jello.  Your system may not be ready to start the types of food that you are eating.  Go slow and try to introduce one new food at a time to see how your system tolerates it.  It will all get better but your system is still adjusting to the changes.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views