Lupus & VSG??

maeich1
on 2/4/13 9:39 am - MD

I am curious if anyone with Lupus has undergone as VSG. I have not been diagnosed but I've has sudden onset of bad multi joint pain for the past 6 weeks with a positive ANA so they are ruling out Lupus. My bariatric surgeon is ready to schedule my surgery but I kinda want to get this joint stuff figured out first..

I'd love to hear from anyone who has Lupus. Thanks for your help!
~Melissa

Janet M.
on 2/4/13 10:21 am - WA
VSG on 12/27/12

I have both lupus and fibromyalgia and I was sleeved on 12/27.  So far I have actually felt better than before surgery and I think part of that is the low carb diet has always helped my fatigue issues.  I have great hopes that the weigh loss will improve my health and all my docs think it will.  There is a forum specific to lupus on this site if you go to the forums drop down menu and choose medical conditions and then choose "more" you'll find it.  Good luck :)

tarsanne
on 2/4/13 12:06 pm - MO
I have lupus and fibromyalgia and sjogrens. I'm scheduled for surgery this month. I was told the weight loss should help with symptoms. For every 10 lbs you lose you take 30 lbs off your knees. That alone will help. I do know my surgeon said lapband was not a good choice for anyone with an autoimmune disease due to a higher rejection rate.
angelladyclaire
on 2/4/13 6:47 pm - MO

I have undiagnosed but suspected lupus, per my rheumatologist. (+ANA, malar rash, joint pain, hair loss, fatigue, but no major flares). He classifies my syndrome as "unspecified connective tissue disorder." I am scheduled to be sleeved on 2-13, and I figure it can only help! My rheum has been after me to lose weight for years as it will help significantly with the fatigue and joint pain issues. LIke the previous poster said, lap band is not advised in autoimmune disorders, but none of my physicians has tried to deter me from having the sleeve. 

maeich1
on 2/4/13 8:34 pm - MD
Thank you all for your feedback! I see the rheumatologist today. I'm hoping I'll get the go ahead for the surgery.
Most Active