HORRIBLE LEFT SHOULDER PAIN!!

koon5
on 2/4/13 11:00 pm

Sleeved Sat. 2/2 came home yesterday 2/4. I have so much left shoulder pain that it even hurts when I drink or sip slowing. It feels like the pain is traveling down my shoulder. Is this normal? I've seen posts regarding shoulder pain before but cant find them now. I'm having a hard time getting my liquids in because of the pain every time I swallow. I keep drinking then just clench my jaw in pain until the pain passes. Am I doing something wrong?

RedStar98
on 2/4/13 11:06 pm - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12

It's gas pain probably, I had the same thing, you have to keep moving, go for walks, even if they are slow walks, just move move move, it makes such a difference.  It will pass.

jen_vsg_4me
on 2/4/13 11:11 pm - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

Yes, it is probably gas... take your temperature often and your blood pressure if you can. Shoulder pain, extreme stomach pain, fever, elevated blood pressure, and heart palpitations are signs of a leak.  The shoulder pain scared me, but since I had no other signs of a leak, I just assumed it was gas. It went away eventually. 

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

Julie L.
on 2/4/13 11:36 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

Walk walk walk,  Gas-X strips,  walk walk walk walk.   Not much else you can do! 

hollykim
on 2/5/13 12:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Try using a heating pad on the shoulder. it sometimes helps gas to pass,which this likely is. You don't have a fever or anything do you? Walking as much as possible will help it to pass. DO NOT let it stop you from drinking especially liquids,if not even protein drinks,but clear liquids. You DO NOT want to get dehydrated.

GL

Jackie T.
on 2/5/13 12:46 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Gas X strips

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

chubby_cinderella
on 2/5/13 2:05 am
VSG on 01/28/13
I was sleeved on the 28th and have the same problem, doc said its gas. Feel better soon!

bibbitybobbityboo

Lindsey72386
on 2/5/13 3:24 am - IN

I was sleeved on 2/29 and  3 days after surgery I started to get really really bad pain in my left shoulder! I would get up and walk which would kind of help and I also used a heating pad! It's goin on 5 days its slowly but surely goin away! I hope it goes away soon for you!

novascotiadawn
on 2/5/13 11:55 am, edited 2/5/13 11:56 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

It mos likely is gas! But, possibly a leak also ! Those were my symptoms and I can still hear, it's only gas! Keep an eye on it! 

Hugs 

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/5/13 12:34 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
The shoulder pain is likely gas, as others have said, bu****ch it - if it doesn't get better within a couple of days (with lots of walking, gasX strips and farting) get yourself back to your surgeon and get checked out.

The pain when you swallow is because your sleeve is very swollen, so only the tiniest bit of liquid can slip through at a time. Try reducing your sips to about 1/4 tsp and try different temperatures. My Fred much preferred hot drinks, some prefer cold, some room temperature. Yes, that means that your full-time job for the next while is sipping, but it's going to be SO worth it!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views