I got my date!!!!! Ahhhh..How long off work?

maeich1
on 2/6/13 9:40 am - MD

Wow! Its been a long road to get to this point but I got my surgery date today ( March 5th). Suddenly all the excitement I had has turned into nervousness. I guess its normal. It just seems like everything went sooooo slow and then all of a sudden it was here. 

Quick question: How long were you out of work after your VSG? I have to give my boss an idea this week. My surgeon thinks 2-3 weeks will be plenty. Curious what you guys think.

~Melissa

Beth Nesbitt
on 2/6/13 10:11 am - Havre de Grace, MD

I haven't had my surgery but I was told it all depends on the type of work you do. I am a nursing assistant and they told me it may be as along as 6 weeks

Beth Nesbitt

AppyGrl
on 2/6/13 10:18 am
VSG on 01/23/13

It depends on your job. If you have a sedentary desk job then you can be back to work in a week. If you have an active job with lifting and pulling you will want to take a bit more time. I am teacher to 4 and 5 year olds some with special needs, I took 4 weeks off.

Best of luck to you and your journey!

KittyKarin
on 2/6/13 10:22 am, edited 2/6/13 6:22 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13
Congrats on ur date!! This is such an exciting time. It will be here before u know it. I work a desk job from home so I went back exactly after two weeks. If I were u, I would go with 3 weeks. Even though I work from home and my job isn't physically demanding, I was exhausted by the end of the day.

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

sarapilar
on 2/6/13 11:35 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I'm just like you - a desk job (Corporate sales) from my home.  I really don't have much time off that I can take, so I am hoping and praying that taking 5 business days and a Weekend will be enough for me to come back to work.  Luckily I can take a 1 hour nap in the middle of the day if I really need to.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/13 2:33 pm, edited 2/6/13 2:33 pm

Unless there is a complication, you should be just fine.  I had my surgery on Thursday and was working part time by Monday.

maeich1
on 2/6/13 10:33 am - MD

Thanks ladies! I am a nurse so I think I better stick to the 3 weeks then! Thanks for all the advice! I love this site!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/13 2:34 pm

If you are a nurse, and this means that you are moving, lifting patients, you will need six weeks.  There is a physical limitation to how much you can lift until you are past six weeks.

Sleeveless
on 2/6/13 5:16 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Do be prepared for the possibility that you will have spells of feeling really wiped out and thirsty, even if you feel well enough to go back to work. That happened to me several times my first few weeks out.

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/13 12:37 am - Worcester, MA
VSG on 02/25/13

My surgeon definatly recommended 3 weeks the leaste. I guess he says you need time to heal and you will be tired. I would go for 3 weeks. The leaste!  Even 4. My mother in law did 4 but she said by the 3rd week she could have gone back to work. Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views