Getting Approval from Insurance

Rebirthofme
on 2/27/13 1:12 am - San Jose, CA
VSG on 04/23/13

Hi All!

I am finally feeling like my journey is getting the kick off it needs. I just paid my program fee and will be waiting for the approval from the Insurance company ( Blue Shield)...

How long did it take for approval for any of you? When you were approved how long did you wait and what did you have to do before getting a surgery date?

mimij
on 2/27/13 1:39 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

you will find each of us has very different experiences with that. It just varies so much. I would go based on what your surgery coordinator at the office has told you. My insurance company took 10 days to approve. Then I had to wait for a final appt with the surgeon to sign consents and that took 2 weeks. Then surgery was scheduled for 3 weeks from that appt.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

kc82
on 2/27/13 2:59 am - MI
VSG on 05/28/13

I agree with mimij - everyone's insurance is so different and it all depends on your individual insurance plan and whether or not your insurance has any WLS exclusions.

I was lucky. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan through my husband's employer, and our plan covers it 100% as long as your BMI was over 40 and you had accompanying comorbidities. And in that case you would have to do a 6-month supervised diet through your doctor.

However in my case, because my BMI is over 50, they waive the requirement for the 6-month supervised diet. So basically I picked the bariatric program that I wanted to use, have now done (almost) everything required of me through the program, and once I finish my last few appointments, I'll be good to schedule my surgery. No pre-approval needed.

I hope that this is the case for you as well, and I wish you luck on your journey! :)

"I have made the choices that work best for me. I know I cannot please everyone, and that's fine." - Marlee Matlin

Starting Weight: 311 lbs
Current Weight: 160 lbs
Height:
5'3"
Surgery Date:
5/28/13

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views