So THIS is where the sugar monster hides!!!

joannalu_1970
on 2/28/13 4:24 am - CA
VSG on 01/29/13

Today's lesson learned:  Plan your meals and eat tiny meals every three hours!!  Drink water!!

I had a doctor's appointment today for which I had to fast.  So I didn't get to eat until about noon today.  Needless to say, I didn't plan well and just grabbed a packet of tuna on my way out the door.  I get to work, still hungry and dehydrated.  Deli downstairs is ready for lunch and they've put out their AMAZING lemon cake.  I don't know what happened next (yes I do), but as I was sitting at my desk I realized that I'm holding a latte (not bad), a turkey burger patty (not bad), and LEMON CAKE!!  Since I have a stomach of steel, I can handle anything I put in it, not that I do.  But I was unable to say no to the cake.  Half a piece is gone with the help of the latte.  I know now first hand why I can't eat and drink at the same time.  That liquid helps things slide right through.

I'm not going to kick myself for this.  I will not hate myself for it.  Hating myself is what got me in trouble with food/weight in the first place.  No more.  Lemon cake was good.  I thank Lemon Cake for being here, but it's time to say goodbye.  I will take this weak moment and think of it as an important lesson learned and more power to me in the future.  

Thanks for reading.  

KnitsByMama
on 2/28/13 4:56 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

Please be careful and stick to your plan. You are just 1 month post-op. Your new stomach is not yet healed fully. 

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/28/13 5:55 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

*snort*

Yep... Lemon cake can be a real kick in the butt!

What's done is already done... No more lemon cake. Maybe low fat lemon yogurt if you can find it though. Yes... that'd be good.

I found out warm liquid is the best/worst for helping things slide through right around 4 weeks out. *facepalm* So I actively keep it to less then 1/8th of a cup while eating and only if I NEED it.

Maybe limit the amount of change in your pocket, and convince yourself your accounts are over drawn if you have a deli downstairs. Just an idea.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Nancybefree
on 2/28/13 6:37 am, edited 2/28/13 6:38 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Or nonfat plain Greek yogurt with SF lemon syrup ... and maybe some unflavored protein powder mixed in for good measure.  :)

Just curious why you would need to drink during a meal.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/28/13 7:02 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I've messed up a couple times and something was too dry (chicken for example)... So I learned it was safer for me to have a tea or coffee handy just in case. Most nights it sits there and I drink it lukewarm about 30-45 min later (I love microwaves) but on the rare night it comes into play (1 in every 5) I am glad to have it.

Three things set off a chain reaction of foam, slime and stomach acid that continues to bubble for hours:

• Cold fluid within 45 minutes of warm food. Any cold fluid. It is like everything contracts and I am doubled over almost instantly.
  • Food that is too dry. A rare thing but life happens and my husband is typically pretty darn awesome so it is very rare.
  • Straigh****er. I really wi**** hadn't broken up with me.

So... Since it is too cold to eat in the backyard or garage (apparently me being violently ill isn't very pretty) I will do my thing... Go slow... and have something to moisten food with just in case. One bite of too dry and I typically then either get up and make it more moist on it's own, or get something else... But this truly saves some nasty moments and it is not eating too fast, nor too large of a bite. It can be eraser sized and wham. I am in trouble.

Visualize an extra-large grill that is still hot being whipped out of the sink, and held by one hand while I am holding my hair back with the other and foaming out the mouth for 3 minutes straight... All I could do was set the grill on the stove top and then make it back to the sink. *sigh*

And yet... I still love my VSG. Go figure!

Nancybefree
on 2/28/13 8:45 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Mmm, okay, that makes sense.  Hopefully that will get better for you as your sleeve matures. 

I've had a couple of experiences similar to that myself, mostly from eating too quickly.  As it's very difficult to burp after being sleeved, it can be painful and nasty for sure.  My husband, daughter and grandson have all attempted to burp me on occasion. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/28/13 10:58 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

*snicker* I "burp" myself quite well...

I hope to be able to do plain water again. Of all of it... THAT I miss. Outside of that I can handle almost anything.

Julie J.
on 2/28/13 8:20 am - NV

So you are actually foaming at the mouth? I had heard about that but thought it was a joke.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/28/13 10:59 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

It's not a joke... It is like foamy slime that bubbles up. You know when you are ill with nothing in your stomach? That slimy stuff. Good times!

EAT SLOW... Keep the food moist! Take a bite and see how something sits for 2-3 min... THEN slowly consume the rest.

I know within a bite if something will make the world a sad place.

sonia29
on 2/28/13 9:42 am

Please don't do that! you worked so hard to get to surgery.

29y/ 5'4 / HW 265/SW 255/CW 120.1/Final goal 125

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views