Suggestions for a protein boost?

katikati
on 3/13/13 1:59 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

Does anyone know of any simple foods to add to get a protein boost in my day?  I know that many people add unflavored protein to their meals, but I'm looking for something different if at all possible.  I have a hard time tolerating any powdered proteins.  I'm falling short on my protein most days, but I don't want to add anything that's going to add anything but protein.  I have room for more calories, as I'm averaging about 450 every day.  I just can't quite eat enough at a meal yet to add more meat.

sleevegirl
on 3/13/13 2:04 pm - Austin, TX

Fage 0% Greek Yogurt. 100 calories, 18 protein in one small container. I mix in Walden Farms caramel dip to cut the tartness.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

sarapilar
on 3/13/13 2:12 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

How about drinking a Syntrax Nectar Protein Ice Tea, or orange drink (Fuzzy Navel) or lemonade (Roadside Lemonade)? 

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

rissa1224
on 3/13/13 11:40 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

They sound good! Where would you find those?

Starr16
on 3/13/13 2:20 pm - WA
VSG on 02/21/13

I use:

Bariatric Advantage Protein Elixir - Grape Flavor that adds 10g of protein to my water. It tastes great if you like grape. 50 calories

Twinlab Cher-Amino - It is Cherry flavored and I add it to a berry Vega shake and it adds 15g of protein. 80 calories

Twinlab liquid protein - It is unflavored and can be added to soup. It also adds 15g. 60 calories

My go to "food" is cottage cheese with Worcestershire sauce 

HW: 276 SW: 275 GW: 155 Height: 5'9'' Surgery date: 2/21/13

Diana E.
on 3/13/13 2:33 pm
VSG on 03/27/13

Cottage cheese with Worcestershire sauce?? I have never in my life heard of that combo... that doesn't sound too good. 

Starr16
on 3/14/13 3:11 am - WA
VSG on 02/21/13

LOL, I know it sounds bad. But it makes the cottage cheese savory, which right now with all the sweet protein drinks I try to get down a little savory flavor is much welcomed.

HW: 276 SW: 275 GW: 155 Height: 5'9'' Surgery date: 2/21/13

sarapilar
on 3/13/13 3:21 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

Great ideas - I am looking them up now....Side note -- We are surgery buddies - yeah for 2/21!!!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Calking
on 3/13/13 2:38 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

How much extra protein are you wanting or needing?  Are you still in the liquids stage (it would make a great difference if you were)?

I would say that the most enjoyable product that I have found is peanut flour.  Most here get it as PB2.  I personally can't afford PB2 so I buy a 2 pound bag from iherb.com for about $11 plus shipping.  Here is the link if you want to check it out ... 

http://www.iherb.com/Protein-Plus-Roasted-All-Natural-Peanut -Flour-32-oz-907-g/36231

The best part is the numbers.  This is so very close to having a protein mix that you might even get away with having half of the protein shake you are getting now.  Check this out ... 

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (30 g)
Servings Per Container: 30
  Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 110  
Calories from Fat 35  
Total Fat 4 g 6%
Saturated Fat 0.5 g 3%
Trans Fat 0 g  
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 8 g 3%
Dietary Fiber 4 g 16%
Sugars 2 g  
Protein 16 g  
Vitamin A   0%
Vitamin C   0%
Calcium   2%
Iron   6%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000- calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  Calories: 2,000 2,500
Total Fat Less than 65 g 80 g
Sat Fat Less than 20 g 25 g
Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg
Sodium Less than 2,400 mg 2,400 mg
Total Carb.   300 g 375 g
Dietary Fiber   25 g 30 g

Now you might be thinking of ways to use this.  Get some almond milk and mix in the peanut flour with some unsweetened cocoa (such as Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa) and some Stevia or Splenda.  You have a chocolate peanut butter shake.  Also check this out ... from the link above here is a recipe ...

Gluten-Free Peanut Fish Fillets

• Makes 4 Servings
  • 1/4 cup 12% fat, light roast peanut flour
  • 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted peanuts
  • 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence or fines herbes
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 5 ounces of your favorite fish
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/3 cup gluten-free mayonnaise, such as Hellman's
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet pickles
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
  • 4 lemon wedges
  1. In a shallow plate or pie plate, combine cornmeal, peanut flour, peanuts and herbs; mix well.
  2. In another shallow plate, beat egg whites with 2 teaspoons water.
  3. Sprinkle salt and pepper over fish. One oat a time, dredge fish fillet in cornmeal mixture, patting to coat. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
  4. Heat oil and butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.
  5. Add fish; sauté 4 to 5 minutes per side or until fish is golden brown.
  6. Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, pickle, mustard and, if desired, pepper sauce. Serve fish with sauce and lemon wedges.

I don't know the numbers for that recipe and I would substitute the cornmeal with flaxseed meal or almond flour.  You get the protein from the fish as well as the added protein from the peanut flour and flaxseed or almond flour.

If you don't want to get that elaborate ... Quest bars are high in protein.  Many very yummy flavors as well.  If you want to know more about Quest bars I can answer those questions.  I have written that answer so many times that I could do a search on here and give you a cut and paste all about those.

Also with the peanut flour you could do something with bananas.  Adding some liquid (I have no idea how much) to the peanut flour would give you something close to peanut butter without all the fat as the peanut flour has been defatted.

Hope this helps.  If not let me know and I have more thoughts I am sure I could find something you would enjoy.  Perhaps something with liquid egg whites and creating a seafood omelet of some sort ... perhaps with some crab meat (Chicken of the Sea Claw Crabmeat 16 oz for under $10 at Trader Joes also can be bought for a bit more money at Walmart ... 3 oz has 17g of protein)  The 100% liquid egg whites is 5g protein per 3 tablespoons.  See that ... came up with a whole other idea on the fly.  And yum.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

SandyRi
on 3/13/13 4:58 pm - WA
VSG on 03/04/13
Premier Protein drinks are pretty good to sip on. Like thin choc milk. 30g protein 160 cals in 11oz

Surgery date:  03/04/2013

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views