Long shot--Cushing's Disease--does anyone know of anyone on these boards

lillypie9
on 3/22/13 2:40 am
VSG on 11/02/12

who had WLS and was later diagnosed with Cushing's Disease/Syndrome--or had a recurrence of Cushing's after having WLS.

It's looking like I'm having a recurrence and I'm not sure what it means for my weight loss in the near future, and would like to get some input. Thanks!

AmberK
on 3/22/13 3:55 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

I have never heard of this! Could you explain it? Thanks

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

lillypie9
on 3/24/13 10:24 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Hi Amber,

Sorry it took me so long to respond; I was away for the weekend.  Cushing's Disease is a relatively rare disorder that results from benign tumors in the pituitary gland that cause an overproduction of cortisol, a natural steroid the body produces. The overabundance of cortisol has a number of symptoms; one of the most common is significant weight gain in the midsection of the body, while the arms and legs remain comparatively thin. The first time I had Cushing's, I gained about 40 pounds, despite eating a moderate diet.

The overproduction of cortisol also does a number on all your body's organ systems, so the typical treatment is surgical removal of the tumors. Unfortunately there is a fairly high incidence of recurrence post-surgery, so that is what I'm dealing with now.

So... are you sorry you asked, LOL.

PhillyGator
on 3/22/13 8:04 am

Do you have a tumor/has it been removed or are you on medications?

I mean, based on my nursing knowledge, I would think it would play a big part in weight loss since cortisol helps determine the use of protein, fats and carbs for energy. It is almost like your body is always in a stressful state and your body is getting ready to fight. But I'm not sure how having this surgery plays into this because of the ghrelin removed and a smaller stomach.

I'm not sure I helped, but I'll be keeping an eye out to see what others will say. I'm sorry to hear you're having a recurrence! Good luck.

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

lillypie9
on 3/24/13 10:29 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Hi Philly,

I had my first occurrence of Cushing's in 2009 and surgery to remove the tumors took 90% of my pituitary. I've been off supplemental cortisone for about a year.

Based on test results, it looks like I have a regrowth, but I don't know what to expect since I had VGS. During my first occurrence, I was eating a very clean food plan but still gained 40 pounds. I am sick that I may have to go through that again, after having the VGS. Thanks for responding.

justpete
on 3/22/13 9:26 am
VSG on 04/02/13

i was on steroids for 3 years so i know where your wories are coming from.  can make you crazy 'hungry' but you'll jsut have to buckle down adn get it done.  keeps lots of godo snack around.  at least with the WLS you'll have a bit of restriction

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views