3 months and 4 days out-NSV + advice for people on the fence!

busboss1
on 3/22/13 8:53 am
VSG on 12/18/12

I have a NSV! I am halfway to my goal. Not my surgeon's goal! My goal is 140 but my surgeon's goal is 150. I'm down 52.6 pounds and just today, someone called me skinny! Of course I'm not but it made me feel good. One more thing, anyone who thinks you just get the surgery and the weight magically disappears is wrong. It is a tool for weight loss. At first it was tough just to eat real food. At 3 months, it is no longer tough to eat and the bad stuff really does go down easy. I am staying away from sugar and bread on purpose because I have a weakness and I know it. This tool has helped me to be able to push those things away! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! For anyone who isn't sure about this surgery, I would do it again for sure. If you live in the Dayton, OH area, Dr. Donovan Teel is the man!

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

fayethfull
on 3/22/13 9:01 am

i will be 4 weeks post op monday, and i'm not sure about anything, i know i lost weight in my face and thighs but it doesn't seem that i losing like i should be.  I not sure about what i eat, how long it takes to completely heal or anything.  I had my fist visit with my surgeon and he said i could go on the soft diet, and to see him in June, but not how many pounds i should have lost by then, just that i should be losing 2 pounds per week.  I'm starting to doubt whether i did the right thing by having this surgery or not.  Plzzzzz help!!!

jennygirl
on 3/22/13 10:11 am
I can relate to you. I will be four weeks post op on Wednesday. I weigh myself once a week, follow my diet, drink water and I am up to walking 1.5 miles a day and haven't lost since week two. My loss since surgery has been 16 lbs. That is disappointing to me. I lost more pre op (18 lbs) than I have since surgery.
moonchild1968
on 3/22/13 1:21 pm - Tucker, GA

Don't be too hard on yourself.  16 pounds in 4 weeks is nothing to sneeze at. Good going!  What we know for certain is that following the diet, drinking water, and walking 1.5 miles a day is a recipe for success not failure.  Just keep doing what you're doing...which is great.  Congrats. 

jarabacoagirl
on 3/23/13 1:08 am
VSG on 12/17/12

To Fayeth and Jenny,  I'm also over 3 months out.  It gets better I promise.  If you are 4 weeks out you maybe have just got passed that 3 week stall.  At 4 weeks I also thought the same thing that I lost more weight pre-op than post op.  Well by three months that is changed.  Besides look at it this way if you lost weight pre-op wasn't to prep for the surgery.  I'm sure I would have never done that crazy liquid diet if I wasn't going to have the surgery.   I didn't lose more than 15 lbs the 1st month either.   I also had a few weeks I lost nothing at all.  And I couple week I regain 1/2 pound.  But if I tell you my  weight loss now it's better.  I've lost 47 since surgery and 69 since my highest weight.  Don't give up.  Try increasing your protein and lowering your carbs to make sure you beat a stall.  Also excersize is important but you don't by any means have to kill yourself.  I either walk or do pool excersizes 3 x a week.  (that's not a lot but much more than I was doing before.)

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

moonchild1968
on 3/22/13 1:37 pm, edited 3/22/13 1:37 pm - Tucker, GA

OK, so he said that you should be on soft foods.  Google "soft foods" to get more ideas of what you should eat.  It should be mushy with not a lot of chewing.   I haven't had the surgery but I have read a lot here and I currently have the lapband which has a similiar post op diet.

I know this may be hard, but don't worry too much about the scale. If you are following the diet and excercizng the scale will take care of itself. Remember, your doctor said 2 pounds a week.  That means at least 8 pounds a month and 24 pounds in 3 months...June. 

Call your surgeon's office on Monday and your nutritionist with your questions. They answer questions all day EVERY day.  Once you get more information, it just might calm your doubts. Whatever you do, call.  You don't want to make any mistakes because you didn't know what you were supposed to do.

jarabacoagirl
on 3/23/13 1:07 am
VSG on 12/17/12

To Fayeth and Jenny,  I'm also over 3 months out.  It gets better I promise.  If you are 4 weeks out you maybe have just got passed that 3 week stall.  At 4 weeks I also thought the same thing that I lost more weight pre-op than post op.  Well by three months that is changed.  Besides look at it this way if you lost weight pre-op wasn't to prep for the surgery.  I'm sure I would have never done that crazy liquid diet if I wasn't going to have the surgery.   I didn't lose more than 15 lbs the 1st month either.   I also had a few weeks I lost nothing at all.  And I couple week I regain 1/2 pound.  But if I tell you my  weight loss now it's better.  I've lost 47 since surgery and 69 since my highest weight.  Don't give up.  Try increasing your protein and lowering your carbs to make sure you beat a stall.  Also excersize is important but you don't by any means have to kill yourself.  I either walk or do pool excersizes 3 x a week.  (that's not a lot but much more than I was doing before.)

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

busboss1
on 3/22/13 9:12 am
VSG on 12/18/12

My nutritionist and surgeon told me to make sure I ate 60-70 grams of protein and at least 64 ounces of fluids per day. I have followed it to the T. I ate no more than 450-600 calories per day until I was about 1 1/2 months out. The last month, I try to never go above 800 calories and some days I still only eat 450-600 calories. They say your best loss comes in the first 6 months. I still use Syntrax Matrix 5.0 shakes at least one meal per day and usually a greek yogart or some turkey breast also then eat a high protein, low fat, low carb dinner, like a small chili from Wendy's or turkey sausage or eggs, etc. I do my best to drink the 64 ounces of fluid. My morning coffee is a huge help in that regard.

Another BIG thing for me is tracking what I take in. I use the health tracker on this site and My Fitness Pal. If I didn't track what I eat and drink, this would not work for me. If anything I do can help you, try it. If you don't feel like the weight is falling off, measure yourself. I did that when I felt like I wasn't losing. Get out and walk too. I try to get on the treadmill every day even if I only have 10 minutes. Any amount is better than none. You have to work at it. Good luck! Let me know how you do.

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

sarapilar
on 3/22/13 12:18 pm
VSG on 02/21/13
Great job!!!
"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

moonchild1968
on 3/22/13 1:40 pm - Tucker, GA

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Great NSV you skinny thing you!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views