hi I have a ? I bin tell that I need to get a Emerg Alert Medical Alert Emergency ID Necklace after

girlsad
on 3/29/13 10:57 am

is that tru

MomofMarch
on 3/29/13 11:08 am - GA

Um I wasn't told that I had to have one, but it's a good idea to have something on you that states that you've had bariatric surgery just in case you're ever in an accident or something like that. I have one on order because I'm paranoid.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

girlsad
on 3/29/13 11:16 am

thanx you so very much

Edelge
on 3/29/13 1:26 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

Ok, I missed something.  How did you have two vsgs?!?

chinamama
on 3/29/13 11:40 am - Bend, OR

I was told this for the lapband (not that I ever did it.....) Because if you were ever unconscious and then needed to put a tube down into your stomach they could perferate your stomach if the band was inflated. FWIW

girlsad
on 3/29/13 12:06 pm

thanx you so very much

MacMadame
on 3/29/13 12:31 pm - Northern, CA

I looked into it and talked to some EMTs and decided I didn't need it. Because of the shape of our stomachs, the whole "No blind NG tubes" that they put on there for RnYers is not a big deal for us (we have a sleeve, not a pouch) and it's not necessarily going to do them any good either. My EMT friends tell me that if you have to be intubated in the field blindly to save your life, they'll do it no matter what your emergency bracelet says.

The other things that RnYers put on theirs don't apply to us either -- like No NSAIDs. 

The point of an emergency medical alert bracelet is to tell the medical personnel things you can't if you are unable to. So I thought about it and couldn't come up with anything. I do have a Road ID that I use when I go biking or running and don't have my purse on me. I have my name and emergency contact info on there and, since I have one anyway, I did put "partial gastrectomy" on there too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

shajoh
on 3/29/13 2:01 pm - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

It's because of potential perforation of the stomache should a nasogastric tube need to be inserted. 

Sharla

Tina Fisher
on 3/29/13 7:09 pm - Beloit, WI

I have to wear a medic alert bracelet, anyway, so I just had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy added to it. 

bob-h
on 3/29/13 10:25 pm - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

I got one for the simple reason my wife needed one do to some serious allergies and they had a deal buy one get one 1/2 off. Mine just says VGS, no blind NG Tubes. No allergies.  Doesn't hurt to have it.

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 200 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views