Did you eat healthy/restrict calories after surgery approval?

MadsMommy
on 4/5/13 9:52 am
VSG on 05/20/13

My surgery is 5/20 approved by my insurance, i'm having a hard time eating healthy - I feel like this is my last chance to eat what I want.  I'm not eat horrible but not really watching what I eat.. In my mind the pre-op diet will be my start to my new life and new eating habits... Did anyone else have this issue?

Nancybefree
on 4/5/13 9:54 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I drastically changed the foods I ate and how much I ate the day after my first surgeon consult.  That helped me to lose 18 pounds preop.

I did have food funerals for two specific items, though, so I certainly wasn't eating perfectly.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

SophieNJ
on 4/5/13 10:04 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I only had to do clear liquids for one day before surgery.....did I eat healthy up until then? Eh, more or less, I did substitute protein shakes for meals (esp breakfast), but I also had my food funerals....I was very selective, I chose things I knew were probably going to be out of my life forever...for the month before surgery I went to my fav restaurants once or twice a week, and very much enjoyed what I ordered.  I said my goodbyes to white castle.  I did not get to one place that I wanted to - Red Lobster....I really wanted just one more (or 2 or 3) cheese biscuit.  but that's ok, I can live without it.

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

sleevegirl
on 4/5/13 10:11 am - Austin, TX

I was horrible. I decided to do it in March and had my surgery scheduled for June. I was self pay.

For two months, I ate everything and anything I could get my hands on. I ate out for 3 meals per day a good bit. I ate and ate and ate. It was UGLY. I easily gained 5 pounds.

When I hit my 2 week pre-op though, I was perfect.

In a perfect world, I wish I had lost more pre-op, but it was all part of my own process I think. 21 months out, I can still eat the same things if I want to, I just choose not to on most days. I don't regret my long food funeral, I'm stronger now than I was then, in many ways.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

happyteacher
on 4/5/13 10:16 am

Yes, I worked hard at it.  I was not perfect, but it was important to me to take off as much as I could prior to surgery.  Those were my favorite 26 pounds lost, and so much harder than what came after surgery.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

GreenisLove
on 4/6/13 4:38 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I wish there was a way to "like" this reply =D

juddfan1974
on 4/5/13 10:56 am - TN
VSG on 07/02/12

My doctor asked me to lose 40 pounds pre-op to make the surgery easier.  I did and I really think it helped me recover faster and I went into the surgery feeling like I had already accomplished something.

SophieNJ
on 4/6/13 12:02 am, edited 4/6/13 12:05 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

You did help yourself recover faster, and most definitely accomplished something....good for you!!!  More fabulous accomplishments apparently have come for you!  Congrats!  You're doing great!

sophie

mokee
on 4/5/13 11:50 am - OH

I had food funeral after food funeral.  I was told to lose 2 lbs by the dr and I lost 6 and then I started eating after I got the date and insurance approval.  I had to go to all restaurants we enjoyed and didn't really over eat but ate all the things I thought I was going to miss.   It was not a pretty sight.   But in my favor when the 2 week pre op liquid diet started, I did  not cheat once.  I am doing well now, down 62 lbs in 4 months.  I am older, 66, and have not exercised so I don't think this is too bad.  I am starting to crave carbs again especially sugar.   I guess this will be my problem the rest of my life.

best of luck to you.

macshellabell
on 4/5/13 12:37 pm

I am not post op yet...my surgery is on the 30th of April.  I begin my pre-op diet this coming Tuesday so I honestly am having a huge binge weekend.  I had been watching what I ate since the new year and I have lost 15lbs but this weekend I am eating whatever/whenever I want.  I know I will still miss my foods when i'm on my pre-op diet as well as after the surgery but in someway I am almost thinking of it as my food funeral for most of my favorites.  I am hoping to hit 250 on the day of my surgery which will be 28 pounds from my highest recorded weight ( I honestly think I was heavier than this at one point but was too scared to look).

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views