Logging food

Kelli M.
on 4/7/13 11:53 am - CA
VSG on 12/04/12

Hey everyone! I haven't logged in for a while, and while I did lose weight since my last log in, I feel like it could be better. I know most on this site feel it necessary to log food, but what about those that don't? Are they doing just as well? I imagine I should be logging, but I don't plan my meals, I just kind of...eat. I'm 17 weeks out and down 55 pounds. Do you guys think it should be more? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kelli

MomofMarch
on 4/7/13 11:57 am - GA

You're doing great with that weight loss! From personal experience, though, I NEED to track my food. When I don't, I end up forgetting that I've put something in my mouth! Those calories and carbs really add up quickly. A lot of us are like that. It's kind of a way of keeping us accountable. I track everything on MFP. I also have the app on my phone, so if we're on the go, I can log it there. It's always a good idea to plan your meals. It will curb any kind of grazing and snacking. Just my opinions. :)

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

AmberK
on 4/7/13 11:58 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

I think you have done very well, but with that said, it will catch up with you if you "just kind of eat". I have learned the hard way that in order for me to have continued success (and for MANY) planning and logging are #!. For me, that's how I make it through the day. 

At night I put in MFP what all I'm having for the next day and play with my foods to make it all balance it out. Then I don't have to worry or stress out about what I'm going to eat and if it all adds up the way I need to in order to loose weight. 

You are only 17 weeks out, but you really need to work on the habits of what will help you be successful at a year, two years post op. Learn them early so that you can practice this when it is easier to eat more. 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

HilaryH8103
on 4/7/13 12:01 pm - WA
I'm only out 5 weeks but I do think logging is very important. If I didn't do it I'd never remember how many carbs, calories, grams of protein or fat grams I had. Plus, it does help give me some ideas of different things to it.

You don't have to share it with the world like people do on My Fitness Pal. I enjoy that site, some people don't show their diaries at all & that's ok. It's your own business.

Logging is beneficial to me, if I didn't log my foods I would probably eat more.

Do whatever you feel is best.

Good Luck,

Hilary
MomofMarch
on 4/7/13 12:05 pm - GA

I'm with you on this. I don't have my diary public for anyone to see, but it keeps me on track. :)

mammafive
on 4/7/13 12:06 pm

I log on MFP too.  Its okay if you don't plan all the time but log afterward maybe.  It may let you see patterns you DO want to repeat! kiss

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/13 12:13 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

I started on My Fitness Pal long before I started my WLS process.  My rule is before I eat it I log it.  Its the only way I can hold myself accountable for what I put in my mouth.  You have to be honest for it to work it's best meaning that you can't forget to log that easter candy or potato chip you ate.  This is a habit that I will now have for life.....  I had a difficult time last year when I went on a cruise and couldn't be online, felt like I was missing a friend! :)

Kelli M.
on 4/7/13 12:14 pm - CA
VSG on 12/04/12

Thanks everyone. Logging is a total ***** and I don't like doing it, but I see why its necessary. I'll get back to it.

Momofmarch, you're right, I should be planning. Although sometimes it's really difficult for me. Because I'm young I live with my family, and only cook half of the time, resulting in, "Hey ma, what's for dinner?"

AmberK, I really do want to have those good habits down for when this gets much harder.

Mammafive, that's a fantastic reason to log. I never thought about it.

Kelli

MomofMarch
on 4/7/13 12:22 pm - GA

I can understand that part. Here's some ideas for you, though. Instead of "Hey Ma, what's for dinner", you say, "Hey Ma, I'm gonna make dinner tonight." You can also get your own set of groceries and keep them separate from the others'. I have a husband, 2 kids, and soldiers that are almost always over at my house. lol It's usually chaos over here!

One thing I LOOOOOOVE about MFP, is you can look up all kinds of things on there, AND you can put in your own recipes. The only tricky part about it is figuring out how many servings a meal makes. Sometimes it gets complicated when I'm making a big pot of soup or a casserole, but we usually get that figured out.

How old are you, if you don't mind my asking? If your mom cooks a majority of the time, you also have the chance to help her or watch her. I did some of the BEST bonding over cooking with my mom, and my daughter now loves to do the same with me. :)

Kelli M.
on 4/7/13 12:32 pm - CA
VSG on 12/04/12

I'm a little old to still be living at home, but Los Angeles is expensive! I'm 23. My mom doesn't do that majority of cooking, I'd say its about 50/50. We both cook relatively healthy, but she's more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" cook, so I can't exactly plan.

Kelli

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views