2 years out, getting my sleeve fixed

chunkymonkey1991
on 4/15/13 3:07 am

So I had my sleeve done in Aug 2011, starting at 256 and my lowest was 198. I never really got lower than 200 and have since creeped back up to 233. I was torn about trying to fix the sleeve but had another swallow study last Aug that showed my sleeve was really stretched. I know that I didn't follow all of the rules and will be sure to do so this time (with the help of this forum). Just wondering if anyone else had their sleeve fixed (not converted to a bypass or DS). It's set for May 6th but I wish they'd move it up. I hate being this weight and want to start over already! **please no negative comments!!!**

Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

Christine Heusinger
on 4/15/13 3:08 am - GA

I've not heard of getting a sleeve fixed. What does that entail?

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

chunkymonkey1991
on 4/15/13 3:15 am

My weight loss stopped about 3 months out and my swallow study showed that my stomach stretched. They can't tell if it was something my surgeon did or if I overate and made it stretched or what - but it stretched significantly. I have very little if any restriction.

It's a simpler process than the 1st time around, I didn't have to go to all of those appointments. I just needed that swallow test, a consult (I'm using a new surgeon who has done this surgery before), a mtg with my dietician, and a pre-op consult with docs. I was approved by my insurance in about a week. 

The process seems to be similar to the original sleeve, just less OR time. Still 2 nights in the hospital and a week to recover. Slightly elevated risks of everything. 

I just want the surgery to be over and to be back on track!

Here's more info: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/vertical-sleeve-g astrectomy-vsg-revision-surgery.html

Chris Waffle
on 4/15/13 3:10 am - Cypress, CA

I actually wasn't aware that a sleeve could be "fixed" like that (besides the revisions you mentioned) due to the scarring and possible complications. Good luck and I wish you success!

Join me at #OH2013

HW: 375 SW: 295 CW: 195

I'm in it to win it!

chunkymonkey1991
on 4/15/13 3:15 am

Yea, it doesn't happen often but they can "resleeve" you. I'm just hoping it all goes smoothly. I had no complications last time and was healed in about a week.

CarolynJoisey
on 4/15/13 3:16 am

Hi. I hope no one writes anything mean. I am sure we all have messed up something or other in our lives. I would like to ask so I may learn... I'm a hopeful Sleever without a surgery date yet. (A broken bandster) How does it stretch? I'm guessing by eating more than the sleeve (stomach) can handle? Was it uncomfortable when you did? Were you hungry all the time? How much did you eat? Like size wise. I'm sorry for so many questions but I always feel the best way to learn is from someone who has been there.  I am sending hugs and encouragement. We learn from our mistakes and sometimes we get to be blessed and learn from other's mistakes. 

chunkymonkey1991
on 4/15/13 3:21 am

So they really weren't sure how much of it was my surgeon's fault and how much of it was mine. I think he used a larger bougie (sp?). And I didn't weigh my food and did overeat to the point where it hurt sometime. It was obvious when I ate too much and it would be painful for half an hour. I really only did that in my first few months though. 

I didn't really have carbonation but I did drink water after I ate, which I shouldn't have. I also know that I added carbs in too early  - carbs have ALWAYS been an issue for me. 

But I've stretched to the point where I could NOT go to a 700-800 calorie diet because I'd be starving. I'm excited to hit the "reset" button and get back on track. It's been a bit miserable regaining and not really going under 200...

CarolynJoisey
on 4/15/13 3:45 am

Thank you for the info! wink   Reading your posts and others' gives me even more helpful info. 

akr9911
on 4/15/13 3:23 am
VSG on 06/20/13

I'm with Carolyn. No hate here; just support! I too am pre-surg and hearing your struggles helps me a lot. I definitely don't want a do-over! I want it to work the first time, so I guess your story underscores the importance of following the program and also frankly trusting that your surgeon is doing the right job the first time. I'm glad you're getting it fixed, and I'm sure that having the boards as a sounding board ;) will really help!

Keep us informed of your progress. Ellen

HW 259 SW 251 CW 217 M1-20.5 M2 -7.5 M3 -4 M4 -2

emelar
on 4/15/13 3:24 am - TX

Sounds like your original surgeon left way too much of your stomach - particularly the stretchy part.  It's really hard - like next to impossible - to stretch a properly made sleeve because there's just not that much stretch to it!  When I asked my surgeon about stretching the sleeve, he said that to do it you'd have to overeat to the point of vomiting over and over and over and over and over and over...well, you get the idea.

Best of luck on your revision!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views