Body Image

cece58
on 4/15/13 6:08 am - CA

Yesterday morning I was getting dressed for work and standing in front of the mirror thinking that I really need to lose the 2 pounds that I put on in the past several months.  I was feeling pretty bad about how I looked and felt really fat. Just then my husband walked by and said "man, you are so skinny". It just about blew me away. I didn't know who he was talking to. It is sometimes so difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that I am wearing a size 4p. Accepting how I look is really tough and I struggle with it a lot. I honestly thought that once I got to my goal I would be so happy and wouldn't think about what I ate, how I looked or what people thought of me. Not true. That comes from somewhere else but not from reaching goal--at least for me. Many years ago I worked at Macy's in the clothing department. I used to help business women pick out clothing. I will never forget these beautiful size 0 women trying on clothes and thinking that they made them look fat. Their eye would go directly on the part of their body that they least liked. I used to think they were crazy--- I would have done anything to look like they looked. I know I am not the only one who struggles with body image and I also know that it may stem from years of growing up as "the fat girl", but that is my new project-- to start feeling comfortable in my own skin and be happy with how far I have come and how healthy I am. How do you handle poor body image?

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Nikke2003
on 4/15/13 6:18 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I don't really have any answers for this, but you are a so right! When I told 30 lbs in high school and was at the top of a normal weight range, I still thought I was really overweight. I just couldn't get my head wrapped around it. Those feelings were part of the reason I went right back to regaining!

It's such a tough thing, I can't imagine getting to that size ever again and if/when I do.. it's going to be a trip! I'm not sure what kind of things one can do to wrap their heads around it!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

vabella
on 4/15/13 9:40 am, edited 4/15/13 9:41 am - TX

I think we all have that perfect image in our heads of the perfect body.  It may very from person to person but we all have that one.  We need to stop thinking about being that skinny one and being the healthy one.  By eating healthy, exercising and living the healthiest way that make us feel good.  Most of use did not due this only to be skinny it was mostly the health issues that we faced.  We have to looking at our inner person for the happiest and healthiest that we can be and be happy with that.  Not what some one else looks like but what we know is healthy and happy.  I have told myself im not perfect and and be happy that im doing everything that i can to reach my goal but i will not have the perfect body but i will be happy with my self for doing every thing that i can to live a healthy life and due to the vsg i will never consume the amount of food that lead my to being obese. Im that person who loves the look and taste of food.  Even to day i still want my food to taste great and look great on the plate.  It is just a very small plate now but i want the food what little i do eat now to taste great.  I eat very healthy now and healthy food can taste and look great too.  For the in your head thing try looking at your before pictures and now pics.  Picture look different than the mirror.

jenn

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views