Pre Op requirements?

ShelleKarena
on 4/19/13 1:37 am, edited 4/19/13 3:55 am
VSG on 07/10/13 with

??Hello all!  I am very very new.  I just turned in my paperwork for insurance and am awaiting their answer and then I will have my first appt with the surgeon.  I think I will be seeing Nancy Marquez.  I really want to get a jump start on things.  Can anyone tell what kinds of things I may have to do in order to get the surgery approved and the dr willing to do it?  Should I start my diet now?  I know I have to quit smoking and I am planning that for Monday.  Now that I have made my descision to have the surgery, I want to do everything in my power to get my surgery date as soon as possible.  I am tired of living this life and I am sure of my course.  I guess you could say that I am impatient :)

Thanks

Shelle

celticfaery
on 4/19/13 5:08 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Contact your Primary Care Doctor and see if you can get a record of your past weight history.  You might also want to ask for a letter of medical necessity.  If there were any DR supervised diets you went on, get records of those too.

The more legwork you can do before hand can help speed up the process. 

Start walking... even if it's from the door to the mailbox.  Just walk.  Drink lots of water.  Definitely stop smoking.  Keep reading posts and profiles and keep and posting. 

You'll be on the losers bench before you know it!

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

Jackie T.
on 4/19/13 5:32 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Little confused on the above post because you stated you just turned the paperwork in for the insurance but you also said that you haven't seen the surgeon yet.  Anyway....

Most surgeons will make you quit smoking for a while before they will even think about doing an elective surgery.  You said you would start that Monday.  Why not today?  There is more risk of complications if you smoke.  Stop now, it will not be easy and you may have set backs so you need to get started.

If you want to prepare for this surgery, start getting use to not drinking anything at least 30 minutes before you meal and 30 minutes after your meal (nothing in between).  Some doctors want longer but it would be good to start now.

Start eating high protein, low carb meals.  You will not be able to eat what we eat in the same quantities but eating healthier will help through this journey. 

If you drink carbonated beverages, start weaning yourself off of them.  At least early on and possibly forever, the carbonation will bother your stomach and it is bad for it.  Same with caffiene.  Now some have caffiene but during the preop part you will may not be able to have caffeine and if you are addicted you will suffer headaches from the withdrawal.

Exercise - I don't know how active you are now but if you can start walking and moving it will help with your recovery afterwards.

Your surgeons office will tell you what they need you to do.  This whole process can be very emotional at times.  There are many that go through counseling to help with the mental issues surrounding the food and some also see a nutritionist on a regular basis.

Welcome and Good Luck.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

chunkymonkey1991
on 4/19/13 12:19 pm

if you look at my profile I broke down each appt I had and what I had to do. hope it helps!

Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

mamabaer
on 4/20/13 12:17 am - MO

I was on a 2 week liquid diet.  Protein drinks, no fat yogurt, broth, sugar free jello, and sf Popsicles.  Might want to try out some protein drinks.  Premier protein is a premixed drink And syntrax nectars are really good.  Get a sample pack from bjsbariatrics.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views