Chicken broth question

tiddles
on 4/26/13 3:33 am
VSG on 05/09/13 with

Hi there - in preparation for my up-coming surgery, I am comparing clear liquids for post-op. I am looking at unjury chicken soup as well as home made broth. The home made broth is 21 g protein, and if I added a scoop of unflavored unjury, then that would be 41 g protein in only one cup. That would make my daily protein goal seem much more doable. However, I'm concerned that there are too many carbs and calories in the home made.

What do you think? 

Home made chicken broth;

1 serving (1 cup) equals 245 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.

datachick
on 4/26/13 4:24 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

At this point I don't think carbs and calories matter. We had the Unjury, it's easy to throw together when you feel like crap. But either one is fine, just keep drinking.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Deckeriv
on 4/26/13 4:59 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

The clear liquid part goes by pretty quick. Your stomach will be so swollen on the inside you won't really feel like eating much. You will be more concerned with getting down liquids. Any liquids. Worrying about protein starts about a week after surgery when you start to feel better and can get on more of schedule.

I went to the grocery store and picked up a box each of low sodium chicken broth and low sodium beef broth and since you won't be able to get down more than 1/2 a cup at a time it will probably last you through to full liquids. I added a splash of Tabasco to add some flavor and some black pepper. The saltiness is good compared to the sweetness of the shakes.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

justpete
on 4/26/13 5:46 am
VSG on 04/02/13

not sure how you got so much protein into a homemade chicken broth?  please share.   most are more like 2g protein, if that.

the only thing of concern would be salt taste.  if they are both salty it might be tough to get in.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

tiddles
on 4/26/13 8:40 am
VSG on 05/09/13 with

Here's a link to the recipe - I haven't made it yet so I couldn't tell you what it's like. 

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-chicken-broth

VSGSteve
on 4/26/13 6:42 am - NJ
VSG on 04/17/13
Try the Swanson Chicken Stock..

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

tiddles
on 4/26/13 8:41 am
VSG on 05/09/13 with

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - I have much to learn. I don't want to blow this.

Bella_Fein
on 4/26/13 11:14 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I think they are calculating the stats on that incorrectly. Chicken broth only has 20-40 calories per cup. All the ingredients are just for flavor. You remove them so they add minimal calories. When I calculate this recipe with 6 cups of broth PLUS all the extra (as if they were left in it), it only comes to 47 calories and 6 grams of protein. I have a feeling they calculate this as if all of the chicken was still included. So you would be fine to use this recipe it is not as high in calories or protein as they are making it seem and it would be a great idea to add the unjury too it for added protein.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

tiddles
on 4/26/13 1:54 pm
VSG on 05/09/13 with

hmm..well it hardly seems worth the effort for 6 g of protein. Thanks for figuring that out!

Most Active