What do you keep on hand to make staying on plan easy?

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/4/13 5:18 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
In the fridge
Container of hearty homemade soup
Container of turkey meatballs in sauce
Flax muffins
Cottage cheese pancakes
Sugar free jam
Assorted mustards (lots of zip, next to no calories)
Assorted hot sauces (for my hubby)
Cheese string and cold cut roll ups
Cut up raw veg
Greek yogurt based veggie dip, hummus or bean spread (2 TB containers)
1/2 cup containers of baked beans, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna, chicken or egg salad
Cooked pinto or black beans
Cooked turkey bacon
Grated extra old cheddar or tex-mex cheese blend (yummy on beans)
Light Baby Bel cheeses
A few RTD shakes
Premier protein bar 1/3s (100 cal, 10g protein)
Almond milk
1% milk
10 calorie cranberry juice blends
Single serve cans of V8 juice
Cutie oranges
Small apples

In the cupboard
100 calorie packets of almonds
Quest bars halves
Packets of high fibre crackers
Wasa bread
Loaf of high protein, high fibre flax bread
Packet of small whole grain tortillas
Packets of "instant" bean soup
Tuna kits
Many flavours of k-cups

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Tammy S.
on 5/4/13 6:21 am - Chandler, AZ
VSG on 01/14/13

Call me crazy but we must live in the same house! Lol 

5'2, HW 297, SW 274, CW 124, GW 137 (goal reached 2/17/14)  

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/4/13 7:31 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Nice to know I'm not alone!

We've recently discovered that our local Sobey's carries containers of mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes in their deli. We've tried both, and although my portions are very small they're a lovely treat and they help my chicken or fish settle better. The 4 serving container will easily last Barry and me a week.

We also cook brown jasmine rice and whole wheat pasta and keep them in the fridge. (Not generally both at the same time. Our fridge is big, but not THAT big. lol) I take a couple of tablespoons, Barry takes a modest normie portion - 1 batch lasts us the week.

Barry and I enjoy cooking together and we both tolerate repetition well, so often spend a couple of hours on the Sunday afternoon cooking together, then are mostly done for the week. Thursday I cut up more veg, make some fresh cheese/cold cut roll ups, and bake salmon for supper. Friday is Y, visit/feed Mum, then knitting for the afternoon with friends, so I pick up a rotisserie chicken or make scrambled eggs and a waffle to share. (We grind our own wheat, so even my 1/4 waffle tastes like heaven) Saturdays we sometimes have pizza. (We've found a frozen one I can plan for. I eat 1/3, he eats 2/3 plus whatever else he wants)

This isn't a diet with an end point for me - it's a permanent change in the way we eat, so it needs to be sustainable. I'd rather feel like a million, have tonnes of energy, NOT deal with constant constipation, and take a bit longer to lose than eat in a way that (for me) is absolutely miserable and not sustainable.

shess1025
on 5/4/13 6:37 am - Novato, CA
Trader Joes roasted chicken patties, their Just Turkey Bolognese Sauce, frozen chopped spinach...jalapeño ranch dressing (I put a tiny dab on the spinach).
And all kinds of jerky!
Kelly-AnneH
on 5/4/13 7:37 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm very envious of your Trader Joe's. I've wandered through while traveling, and they carry some pretty great stuff. We're getting Target up here. Maybe Trader Joe's is next?

Are the roasted chicken patties moist enough to eat on their own or do you need to add gravy or apple sauce?

shess1025
on 5/4/13 12:46 pm - Novato, CA
They aren't dry but they are dense....I dice up half of one, which is 2 oz...petition some chopped spinach with a dab or two of mustard or dressing or a couple of teaspoons of the turkey bolognese. Yum.
HappyGigi
on 5/4/13 6:39 am - FL

Such a helpful post for us newcomers! I'm in pre-op this week but surgery is next week and I want to be prepared now and in the future. This post goes in my "Tips from OH" document! I've been keeping a running list of things I want to remember from the posts that I read everyday! I know there will be moments (soon) when I will need to refer to the list I have compiled from all of the vets out there guiding us!

HW: 247  Pre-op: 225  SW: 216  CW: 174.8       GW: 145                 VSG: May 7, 2013

1 week Pre-op: -9    M1: -12     M2: -8    M3: -7  M4: -6    M5: -7  

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/4/13 7:41 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Just be sure to follow your doctor's plan carefully during your first few weeks, k?You'll likely have a gradual staging of clear fluids, full fluids, mushies, then regular foods, and it's important to follow instructions. We want you to be as healthy as possible as well as lose the weight.

mimij
on 5/4/13 6:48 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

That's a big pantry Kelly Anne. I am envious. Can I come live with you?  :-)

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/4/13 7:38 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Depends. How are you at housework?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views