I have a question.... Can your mental state affect your success?

debk21
on 5/6/13 1:27 pm - Mansfield, TX

I'm gonna go with 90% mental on this one.  All your choices are mental.  What you eat, whether or not you exercise....ever heard of "head hunger", there ya have it, right there.  Do you eat your emotions (guilt, shame, stress, boredom), man, all that stuff is mental.

And then there is that positive thinking thing you were talking about.  This is what I am the master at.  I will myself everyday to make the right choices and it makes me happy to do this.  It puts a positive spin in my day and my life which overflows to my family and job.  I smile a lot because I'm a generally happy and upbeat person and that brings out smiles in others, which adds to the positivity.  I would rather think of the glass as half full rather than half empty...I think you get it....

Anyway, in answer to your question...BIG BIG YES on the fact that I TRULY BELIEVE your mental state affects your success.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

kodomezhow06
on 5/6/13 2:12 pm - KY

Deb, your so right.  Your state of mind plays a big factor.

loverofcats
on 5/6/13 2:50 pm

Attitude is EVERYTHING!!  Your mental and physical states are interrelated and effect each other. This journey is totally mental. The people who believe that they will succeed and practice the behaviors to reach their goals are the ones that are successful and maintain their weight loss. 

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

shess1025
on 5/6/13 4:32 pm - Novato, CA
I'm a positive person who survived Stage 4 cancer because of the state of current medical knowledge and new treatments....ten years ago people died of the very same cancer. A very good friend of mine died a couple of weeks ago of an infection...certainly she was a most positive person...and religious, which I am most definitely not. She died. I lived. We were both positive in our outlooks.
My co-workers asked me how I could maintain my poitiveness in the face of my quickly deteriorating condition (it took 6 months for the doctors to determine what kind of cancer I had and 7 biopsies)....I was no hero...it's just my nature and I didn't really know how else to behave....pulling the sheets over my head and not getting out of bed could have been an option....but how depressing...but for someone else, that might be their natural reaction.
But...dieting is not cancer. Plenty of positive minded people are felled by illness. Dieting is very much a battle that occurs between the ears....and it makes sense to think you can manage or outsmart your food addictions for the basic requirement of motivation....the alternative is self defeating.

VSG on 3/13/13 with Dr. Gregg Jossart. HW: 364. SW: 287. GW: 150. CW: 190

kodomezhow06
on 5/6/13 10:07 pm - KY

Interesting take on this.  So, I can assume that you feel that how one feels doesn't necessarily equate to a particular result.  But you seem to feel its more about ones approach.  For example a person choosing to use the right tool or technology to get positive results. 

sheranfour
on 5/6/13 7:43 pm, edited 5/6/13 7:43 pm

With all the really awesome clinical responses you received...I'm going to simply state my 2 cents....Gotta get the mind and soul in place, then the body will follow.

Peace!

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Deckeriv
on 5/6/13 9:27 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Weight loss is 90 % mental. The other half is physical.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

sarapilar
on 5/7/13 3:13 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I have been depressed for awhile, due to having complications from this surgery.  It has really effected everything about my food Program the past few weeks.  I have been vomiting a lot and cannot really eat dense protein, then depressed on top of that, eating way to many carbs....so, yes, mental state has everything to do with your success.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

kodomezhow06
on 5/7/13 5:41 am - KY

Sorry to hear that.  Hang in there.  It will get better.  Just stay focused and remember why you are doing this.

Good luck!! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views