HELP.....I can't control my eating

Shanda J.
on 5/9/13 10:28 am - IL
VSG on 02/11/13

I have not been doing good the past week or so. I have been craving sweets so bad, so I gave in I ate 5 of the mini peanut butter cups and then I got cheesecake from Walmart twice now. I'm out of control and don't know what to do!!! I'm so scared that if I give into temptation now that I'm going to fail. I can't seem to control my urges for sweets. The more I eat the more I want. What can I do to control these bad habits?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

HW (326)  SW (304)  GW (140-150)  CW (257)

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!!

lucy2e
on 5/9/13 10:39 am - Laurel, MD

Time to detox from the sweets - avoid them like the plague.  None at all!  Limit your carbs - only do 40 grams a day.  It will be tough for the first week - but it will get easier as time goes by!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Miss150
on 5/9/13 11:14 am
I ditto this advise. For me, sugar begs more sugar, and simple carbs do the same. On those kinds of foods I KNOW ONE BITE is too many and the whole thing is not enough. It's a vicious merry to round that never ends. It is uncomfortable and difficult, but the only way to get the sugar monkey off your back and out of your head is to STOP eating it- not even ONE bite. As the stuff works out of your system, the urge to eat it and the out of control feeling will lessen some. You can do this!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

shess1025
on 5/9/13 11:16 am - Novato, CA
Pre op I figured out hat when I was on a sugar or carb frenzy, I'd stop it and lose the cravings in a day or so by just eating protein....roasted chicken, sausage, bacon....this is before my VSG so my portions were big, but I think if you stick to that....it will knock out the carb desires.

VSG on 3/13/13 with Dr. Gregg Jossart. HW: 364. SW: 287. GW: 150. CW: 190

Donnab62
on 5/9/13 11:21 am
VSG on 04/29/13

I know for me, the best thing is not even to have it in the house. When I go to the store I don't go down the isles with cookies and candies. That is my down fall. One bite is not enough but also too much. I don't think I will ever be able to have it again and if I do I pray my taste for it have changed. Detox - cold turkey.

Donna

justpete
on 5/9/13 11:26 am
VSG on 04/02/13

cut out the carbs and sugar, remove them from sight.  and have other alternatives on hand, always.  i wouldnt even go to walmart, or skip the baked good isle if you must.

maybe some SF candies or gum if you must have something to chew.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Imakitekat
on 5/9/13 11:57 am - ID
VSG on 09/23/13
Shanda

Kairk ( one of the very smart vets on here), told me about a book called " The Beck Diet Plan", he said it helps you deal with sugar addiction, not saying your addicted, but I am and I wanted to get this started before my surgery so that I could get a handle on it now. There is also a companion workbook you can buy additionally. Sometimes limiting carbs isn't quite enough, you have to work through mentally some of the stuff. Not saying you shouldn't limit carbs, just you might need a little extra help. Anyway, thought I would mention it in case your interested. I ordered it from amazon and it was really inexpensive used, I bought the workbook new just because I wanted to do all the exercises without scratching out someone else's answers, I think it was under 20$ for both!

Wish for you the best and good luck

Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/13 3:28 pm

Hey Lisa & Shanda,

It's not a book about sugar addiction, but a book on "how to think like a thin person". It really deals with learning to identify behaviors that are not healthy and unproductive for a healthy life with food. So, yes, it can deal with your sugar problems, but it really is a book that focuses on helping you change behavior from a cognitive therapy stance.

Again, the book is titled The Beck Diet Solution. Here's a link on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/The-Beck-Diet-Solution-Person/dp/B001N XDRJO

Imakitekat
on 5/9/13 3:52 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13
Hey Kairk

Thanks again, sorry I gave a little mis info. Can't wait to get the book, it shipped today. Appreciate all your help.

Lisa
mokee
on 5/9/13 11:57 am - OH

I'm a CARBOHOLIC , period.   I am 5 months out and having a very hard time.   It started a bite of cake here a taste of ice cream there then it went to a scoop.   I don't know how I am going to stop.   I'm not loosing anymore but I least I am not gaining.   I add all these cheats in my food diary but I am eating too much to lose..  My nut. told me to go up to 1200 cal and that is causing me not to lose also.  I know I must only eat 800 or less no matter what she says.   I really tried today but before the day was over I ended up at 1050.    Junior mints were in the picture also.  

Please let's all pray for each other to get this monkey off our backs.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views