Cruising

sunny_disposition
on 6/2/13 11:24 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

My best friend and I are booking a week long cruise for this summer.  I'm 18 weeks out today.  I'm extremely excited, as I've never been on one, and I'm hoping to be down 100 by the time we go!  I'm really looking forward to going to the gym overlooking the ocean too. 

All the temptations of food has me a little worried though.  I keep reading about all the meals and buffets etc etc.  She's a big eater, and I don't want to keep her from it, but I also don't want to tempt or over-indulge myself.  Does anybody have any tips?  Also, am I allowed to bring on ready to drink protein shakes?  (Hopefully I can get some sort of ice-chest to keep them cold?) 

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 6/2/13 11:38 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I am 8 months post op and have been on 2 cruises since surgery.  The first one was at Christmas when I was a little over 2 months post-op.  I packed my protein shakes and had one every morning.  It was easy to stick to my plan as healthy selections are everywhere (right beside the not so good selections lol).  I stayed the course with protein first, as dense as I could eat followed by veggies.  No drinking during or right after meals.  I did taste the odd dessert or potato dish but just enough to get a feel for it.  I came back from that cruise without having gained any weight, as a matter of fact I believe I lost 1 or 2 pound. (As opposed to the 4 or 5 I was losing per weeks by then)

The second cruise was just a few weeks ago.  I was 2 weeks on a ship and one week on land.  Followed the same rules, protein shake in the morning.  Protein first, etc..etc..  except on this one I had some wine here and there and kinda fell apart on my third week away.  Didn't drink shakes, no exercise...ate more cheese as protein (that's how I justified it) no where near my regular amount of water ...It was time for me to get home!!!  I don't think I should ever  vacation longer than 3 weeks!!  I gained 1.75 lbs on that cruise.  It was the first gain I had to record since my surgery and I didn't like it!!!  I lost it on my first week back but its a definite lesson!!!  

All and all if you stay the course, a cruise isn't hard to do while eating and exercising properly!!

Have fun!!!

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

sunny_disposition
on 6/3/13 2:55 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

Good to know!  Did you bring protein powder or ready to drink shakes?

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 6/5/13 1:44 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I packed pre-measured powdered shakes in baggies...just needed to add water and ice in the morning or I took the baggie with me to the restaurant.  I did this for both cruises and it worked very well and was easy to pack!

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Christyb17
on 6/3/13 1:49 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13

Im not post surgery, I am actually having Surgery in the AM. BUT I did go on a cruise last weekend and I ate what I wanted, but in moderation. My Dr advice was to be good, so I did just that. I tasted everything I wanted, but didnt finish the bad stuff. As PP said, there are healthy choices right next to the bad ones. Its all up to you to choose the healthy options. Our cruise had salmon as an option for the whole cruise, they had a standard menu plus the daily changing one. They will work with your requests as well. The first morning I ordered a ham & Cheese Omelette, my plate was covered in butter and I ended up with heartburn in Mexico. The next day, I ordered the same but requested no oil and they did just that. It came a little brown, but I didnt care it was yummy and oil free!

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

sunny_disposition
on 6/3/13 2:57 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

Glad to hear they are willing to work with you!  And best of luck to you tomorrow, it's quite a journey!

Christyb17
on 6/3/13 9:07 pm - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13
Thank you!!

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

cookiebun
on 6/3/13 3:00 am - MA
VSG on 04/02/13

what cruise line are you going to be on?  Some lines come with refrigerators in each cabin, but some you just need to request it.  There are lots of healthy options on a cruise.  I am looking into a cruise for this summer also, and I am only 9 weeks out this week, but I am not worried.  Lots of protein choices and veggies are plentiful.

Enjoy the good food and just avoid the fried/unhealthy food.

I have also brought an entire case of water.  Keep it sealed and in the package and it should make it to your cabin.  Just put a luggage tag on it.

Have fun!!!

I'm not where I want to be, but I am closer than I was yesterday!

HW: 365 SW: 320

sunny_disposition
on 6/3/13 3:19 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

We are going on Carnival.  I will definitely look into getting hooked up with a little fridge!  They didn't give you any trouble with bringing water on?  I thought there may be an issue with bringing outside drinks on, or that there might be some kind of limit. 

cookiebun
on 6/3/13 7:43 am - MA
VSG on 04/02/13

I have never had a problem getting stuff on the ship, but I sail Norwegian.  I agree that a doctor's note will be great. 

Have a great time.

I'm not where I want to be, but I am closer than I was yesterday!

HW: 365 SW: 320

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views