Re-do on my sleeve

Caligurl99
on 6/12/13 12:02 pm

I had my sleeve done about 4 1/2 years ago ... then had Three babies in that time.  I am wanting to get a revision because of the weight i have gained back.  Has anyone else had this done?

mickeymantle
on 6/12/13 3:23 pm, edited 6/12/13 3:25 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

your sleeve should still work fine but you can have your surgeon order an endoscope to see if it stretched much , good chance just getting on plan will do the job

also your surgeon's profile does not even list the sleeve as a surgery that he does , you might what to check how many he has done and if not alot find a different surgeon

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Stephanie M.
on 6/12/13 11:58 pm, edited 6/13/13 12:00 am

I clicked on his link and he does all the surgeries including revision???

BACKGROUND

12 in Bariatrics

15 in Laparoscopic Surgery

10 in Laparoscopic Bariatrics

95% Practice is Bariatrics

Minimum Age of Patient is Varies

Maximum Age of Patient is None

PERFORMS

Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch

Duodenal Switch

LAP-BAND

Laparoscopic Greater Curvature Plication

REALIZE Band

Revision

Roux-en-Y

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Show fewer...

ASSOCIATED WITH avatar Barker Bariatric Center Bariatric Center  
  •  

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

emelar
on 6/12/13 11:53 pm - TX

There's usually not enough stomach left to resleeve.  The logical revision is to do the switch portion of the duodenal switch. But before I jumped to another surgery, I'd get back on my sleeve program. Chances are it still works just fine. 

Birdie55
on 6/13/13 12:14 am

I have seen a few people have revisions when their original sleeve was on the larger size.  

Do you know what size bougie he used or have you already had had an x-ray or scope to determine that you do have a large sleeve?  I would think that would be the first thing to do, then when you know the specifics talk with your surgeon and see his recommendations.

Many people come back here with regain because of their change in diet after losing weight.  Have you tried going back to the diet you ate while losing weight?  That would be safer than another surgery....but it is a personal choice.  

At some point, we all need to work with what we have and not count on surgery to bail us out.  Good luck with your decision.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Caligurl99
on 6/13/13 12:25 am

Birdie.... I completely agree that at some point we have to change our ways instead of counting on surgery to bail us out.  That's truly what i'm trying to do.  I'm going to have the scope first to see what is going and and then make decisions from there.  I'm also not sure about the bougie so i need to research that also.  I had mine done over 4 years ago so its been awhile :) I was a lot heavier then you when i had my surgery (by 100 pounds) and have had eating disorders my entire life and have really learned how to deal with that and face that obstical.  As most moms, having babies did effect my losing and i'm just trying to get that under control.  More important then anything, i want to be healthy and active for my babies.  that is my decision making process. 

Birdie55
on 6/13/13 12:32 am

Caligurl,

From what I have read on this site, many surgeons used larger bougies and have changed to smaller ones over time after evaluating their patient's weight loss and maintenance.  Knowing exactly where your body stands will help you make the decision about revision.  Also, having babies (as you well know) definitely changes everything...so many people gain during their pregnancies and have trouble losing afterwards.  The babies probably complicated that.  

Also, have you considered therapy for your eating disorder?  If you have had therapy before babies, maybe a different therapist or a 'redo' of your therapy might help.  Good luck with your decision.   I have seen your surgeon listed many times on this site and feel he has a good reputation.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Caligurl99
on 6/13/13 12:48 am

I just started counceling about 4 months ago and she is an amazing christian woman and it has helped tons!  I of course would love to jump start my losing again but first i want to do the scope and see what might be happening.  Thank you for all your advice!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views