Zumba - 285lb ish women - Do your feet hurt WHILE working out? During the...

Mommydoo
on 6/17/13 7:40 am - OR

I just wanted to see if it is normal for someone as large as me (285 lbs 5'4") to have trouble with foot pain while doing Zumba.  They don't hurt after really just during.  Is that normal or do I need to go back to the shoe store and return them?  I purchased a pair of wide New Balance cross trainers - my feet are very wide so I had to get a men's shoe.  Also,  my arch is long - or something to that affect - which makes finding the right show fit difficult.  But they thought these ones would work - and they were spendy! Unfortunately, during the first 15 minutes of my Zumba class my feet hurt so incredibly bad from bouncing/jumping up and down that I have to lower my intensity which I don't want to - I want to burn those calories!! :) 

Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this or if I need a better/different shoe.

Thank you,

Kimberly

Highest Weight: 308  Pre-Op Weight: 268 ~ Surgery 7/17/13         

passel
on 6/17/13 8:07 am
There is something deeply wrong with your trainer if he/she is encouraging you to jump and bounce at your weight and height. This is an open invitation to destroy the tendons and ligaments in your legs and feet. Your body is giving you good advice by registering pain. Listen to it, and stop immediately before you have significant damage and have to wait months hoping to recover.
My advice is to speak to your trainer, and ask what their training and certification is. Ask for a Low Impact Routine until your weight is lower and your legs and feet are stronger.
Your shoes are fine. I've worn New Balance for years and think they're one of the best on the market. Just be kind to yourself, listen to your body, demand realistic coaching help from your trainers. And carry on as you continue to become even more glorious than you already are.
mustlovepoodles
on 6/17/13 1:27 pm
VSG on 12/31/13
On June 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM Pacific Time, passel wrote:
There is something deeply wrong with your trainer if he/she is encouraging you to jump and bounce at your weight and height. This is an open invitation to destroy the tendons and ligaments in your legs and feet. Your body is giving you good advice by registering pain. Listen to it, and stop immediately before you have significant damage and have to wait months hoping to recover.
My advice is to speak to your trainer, and ask what their training and certification is. Ask for a Low Impact Routine until your weight is lower and your legs and feet are stronger.
Your shoes are fine. I've worn New Balance for years and think they're one of the best on the market. Just be kind to yourself, listen to your body, demand realistic coaching help from your trainers. And carry on as you continue to become even more glorious than you already are.

I agree. I'm no fitness guru, but I have enough sense to know that extremely active Zumba classes are a bad idea for someone at your weight.

I cannot do Zumba at all. I have tried. I weighed 227 at the time. The pain in my knees, ankles and feet was unbearable and ultimately I ended up spraining my knee and had to go on crutches for a week. I find that bicycling, aqua aerobics, and weight training work much better for me. Even low impact aerobics is too much for my knees and feet!

BTW---I wear New Balances shoes also. Just about all I wear, in fact. They are $$$ but they're the only shoes that work for me. I also have custom orthotics because my feet are completely flat, no arches at all. Expensive, but worth it.

Mommydoo
on 6/17/13 1:33 pm - OR

Thank you.

band2sleeve_2012
on 6/17/13 11:54 am

Try Aqua Zumba.   

5'6"     HW+SW 300      CW 214      GW 170 
                                        Lap Band Removed 1/16/2012  Sleeved 4/24/2012          

Kathy-cny
on 6/17/13 12:29 pm - NY
VSG on 06/25/13

I second that...love my aqua zumba and miss it when I have missed a class! Google it and find a location near you, I looked on you tune first to see what a class would look like...I could never do floor Zumba being heavy..GOOD LUCK

Kathy     HW-393/Surgery weight-368/ weight post op 374 /current weight 292.5

Fran001
on 6/17/13 5:25 pm - MI

Thirding the aqua zumba/aqua aerobics suggestion.  I'm your size and my knees and feet won't tolerate land exercise, but in the water I can go forever and it's totally pain free.

Mommydoo
on 6/17/13 1:31 pm - OR

Thank you everyone!  I just want this so bad!! :)  But maybe reducing intensity and taking morealks with my kiddos would be better.  Water Zumba - I will look into it too.  Thanks again!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 313 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views