Mistakes, Fear and Getting Back on Track

on 6/18/13 1:19 pm - NE

I am 6 months post op and feel I've made some mistakes, and have been trying to figure some things out for the past several weeks.  I am 71 pounds down.  I'm scared to death I got too complacent and am screwing this up.

Mistake #1:  At my 3 month appointment, my surgeon told me to stop drinking protein shakes and get my nutrition from food.  Well, that led to over-eating by trying to keep up with my protein requirement.  Started having vomiting issues.  He also said I could eat anything I wanted, but keep my protein up and limit sugar intake to occasionally.

Mistake #2:  I stopped tracking what I was eating after my 3 month follow up.  Still measured everything, but didn't track it.  I have found that as I could tolerate different foods, I have navigated towards higher fat, higher calorie foods-but still measuring.  When my weight loss came to a screeching halt, I starting tracking again and found that I had worked myself up to between 80-100 grams of protein per day, but my calories have also gone up to between 800-1400!  I am now working on trying to get that number under control, but I AM STARVING!!!  I have also been dreaming about food, and am constantly fighting off cravings.

Mistake #3:  I had foot surgery at 4 months post op, and have had difficulty healing.  Yep, that's right-I haven't been walking regularly in 2 months!  It's getting much better now, and anticipate being able to get back to my routine by this weekend.

So, I'm about ready to start walking again, I'm getting at least 64 ounces of fluid a day (water), I've gone back to at least one protein shake a day, sometimes two.  My calorie intake is now about 800-1000, and my protein intake is still about 80-100 grams.  However, I AM STILL STARVING!!!   

I've identified my issues and I'm working to get back on track, but I'd love to have your input. 

What are you eating to keep your calories low? Are you ever hungry?  Have I stretched out my sleeve?  Can I get back on track and stop feeling like I'm starving all the time?  Am I over-reacting?

Thank you in advance for your input and encouragement,

Suzan

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/13 1:32 pm

You asked for advice, here is my perspective and what I would do in your situation.   Take what makes sense to you, leave the rest.

1) Calories - go back to eating 600-800 calories and do this until goal weight.  I will address your hunger issues later.

2) Keep your protein where it is but make sure that your are only getting it from lean homemade protein sources like fish, shrimp, chicken breast, turkey breast and so on.

3) Keep tracking every single bite.

4) Get your carbs under 40 preferably even under 20 a day.  I know, this doesn't seem easy and it's not.  It means eating only lean protein and low carb veggies.  It is hard, do it anyway.

5) Hunger- Big issue.  I don't want you to be hungry every again.  I have many tricks to reduce hunger, and I have posted pages of posts about it.  The short version: 1) Drink like a fish. 2) Drink hot tea when you think you are hungry, most of the time you are really thirsty. 3) By reducing carbs, your hunger will go away (it will take about four days).  4) Eat veggie salads between your three protein meals.  In other words, eat three meals of dense protein and 2-3 snacks of high fiber low carb veggie salads.  5) Look up green chicken soup on my profile, make it or something like it and eat the heck out of it.  It is only 53 calories for a full cup and is high in protein and low in carbs.  Find my other posts on hunger issues and read Frisco's pyloric valve 101 post. 

I am so glad you are reaching out and I know you can find your way back.  Good luck to you and hugs, we are all in this together.

Jennifer L.
on 6/18/13 1:41 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am not new to OH but new to the VSG boards and I want to say I appreciate all the knowledge you bring to the table. Knowing there is someone like you out there so willing to help everyone else makes a big difference in my confidence of reaching my goal after my surgery. So I just want to thank you for being so giving. 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/13 1:42 pm

Thank you. It mean a great deal. 

on 6/18/13 2:05 pm - NE

Thank you so much, Elina; you are so kind!

I guess I forgot to post my carbs, which have been typically under 50 lately, but I agree with what you said about them.  I'm glad you mentioned the hot tea; I had noticed it helps with hunger, but I haven't been drinking it since the weather warmed up, and I guess I kind of forgot.  Do you think it matters if it's caffeinated or de-caffeinated?

I had read Frisco's post, and will find yours addressing hunger.  Thanks again for your input!

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/13 2:15 pm

No, it really doesn't matter whether it is caffeinated or not.  The only time I would tell you to stay away from caffeine is if you are experiencing acid reflux, otherwise, no problem.

hollirrose
on 6/18/13 9:27 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
Elina said it all. I just want to say that I followed her advice and Frisco...and any of the other low carb/low calorie people on here. This plan got me to goal (205 pounds lost) in under a year. After a few days of feeling like crap from lowering your carbs to 20...you will have tons of energy, feel no hunger, and lose weight quickly. Thats a win in my book! Good luck!
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views