So much bathroom TMI (I'm sorry!!!)

GreenisLove
on 6/18/13 2:37 pm - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

Again I am sorry for this TMI! But I'm about 3 weeks out now and am super constipated. Like, I feel it there, but it hurts so bad. Is it too late to try and take something? What do you recommend? I bought some Metamucil type stuff, but cant even get one glass down because the taste (stupid sipping).  Thank you guys in advance!

mickeymantle
on 6/18/13 2:39 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you need something stronger, probably miralax , and you need to make shore you are drinking enough water and walking that helps get everything moving call your surgeon to make shore what he/she wants you to take

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Esquared
on 6/18/13 3:26 pm, edited 6/18/13 3:37 pm - CA
VSG on 06/06/13

I have been taking a dulcolax and/or adding a capful of Miralax to my water daily since I was 4 days out. My doc also told me Benefiber or Clear Metamucil - the Miralax and Benefiber (CLear) completely dissolve in water and have worked pretty well. I also bought a chewable probiotic and that helps as well. I still hurt a little, and I'm definitely not regular, but it's helping a lot. P.S. You want TMI? Baby tummy=baby ****s. NO JOKE!

Every day it gets better  - can't wait for soft foods; hopefully those will get things moving, too!

"I am what I am not yet." - Maxine Greene

JenJenn
on 6/18/13 3:44 pm - Las Vegas, NV

As someone else mentioned, walking does help, even though it might be a bit uncomfortable if you are really constipated.  But my doctor and the nutritionist both advised me to take Miralax.  I have taken it a few times and it does help. 

A bonus of Miralax is that it really is flavorless and dissolves perfectly in water.  I am super sensitive to textures (can't stand any grittiness) and if there's a bad taste, I'll just gag and gag.  But I have absolutely no problem drinking Miralax. After you mix it up, the crystals completely dissolve and the water is clear.

-Jen

SarahI
on 6/18/13 8:30 pm - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

if the Miralax or dolcolax doesn't work for you, my doctor recommended milk of magnesia.  I start with the lowest dose and go from there. And remember to drink lots of water throughout the process.  It is very important.  You should be feeling better very soon.

SARAH

ParisGirl
on 6/18/13 9:13 pm
VSG on 04/25/13
Milk of Magnesia! You get instant relief and then follow up with Miralax the next day, everyday.

Christyb17
on 6/19/13 12:47 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13

Im with you on this one. I am 2 weeks out and didnt go for several days. A little yesterday. Drank milk with my protein shake this AM and went a little again, but still feel bloated and yucky. I see my Dr today for my follow up and am hoping I can move to soft foods because I know an egg will get me going again.

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

hollykim
on 6/19/13 2:49 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

talk about TMI...but here goes. At this point,your stool is too big to pass thru the hole...physically impossible. this happened to me when taking fiber like stuff(metamucil). At this point,you are going to have to dig in there around the edges with your WELL lubricated finger and make it small enough to get out the hole. Be very very careful and very very gentle.

Totally gross and disgusting,I know,but there is no product that is going to make what is already at the opening,small or soft enough to come through.

After you get some of it dug out,you can try using glycerin suppositories,as many as necessary to help the rest slide on out. After you get this impaction removed,you need to find and stay on a bowel program that works for you.

Miralax works well for many of us and can be used daily and is not habit forming. At three and a half years out,I STILL have to stay on my bowel program or I will get just like you are. I only wanted to go there ONCE,believe you me.

GL

tia47
on 6/19/13 7:17 pm - cleve, OH

I have not gone unassisted since surgery 9 weeks ago. My Dr wants me to go to a bowel movement clinic.  Miralax adds water to the colon...all it does for me is produce gas. I use Dulcolax supp once week. Till i get an appt i have no choice.

tia

GreenisLove
on 6/20/13 12:12 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I called my bariatric advice nurse, and she said since the stool is already at the rectum, that I should use a suppository too. I did that last night, and was able to go. But in this process, I have gotten a really painful hemorroid. =__= just cant catch a break

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views