OMG I have asthma and hypothyroidism

lil1inside
on 6/25/13 11:47 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

WOW they called me regarding my preop testing last week and told me I have asthma (I knew I didn't do well on this breating test they did).  I have to use an inhaler several times a day (YIKES!!!!!).  Now this worries me a tad bit?  I found out earlier I had hypothyroidism.  YIKES am I healthy enough for surgery?  Any one else out there found out they had asthma?  Thanks

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Deckeriv
on 6/26/13 12:03 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Finding out you have these issues now will improve your life down the road. Hypothyroidism will make you feel bad so getting treated is starting you on the correct path. One of the things that will improve your digestive tract with hypo is to go to a gluten free diet, even if you don't have Celiac disease. I have hypo and once I went gluten free I stopped having intestinal issues.

10% of the world's population has asthma. Losing weight will help with the symptoms. It might only be environmental and not genetic but the doctor will help you work through those issues. The inhaler will help with your breathing and it's good to know now so the anesthesiologist can account for the breathing issues during surgery.

You will be fine.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

lil1inside
on 6/27/13 5:26 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Thanks Deckeriv, you are right finding this out now is good and starting me on the right path for sure!  I am going to look into the gluten free diet as a cousin once suggested this to me years ago.  

Everyone has made me feel so much better, so kind!  I really was a little bumbed since I thought I was pretty healthy for a fat women, and it worried me that these things arised before surgery, but so right everyone, better now than later, when I would of been blaming WLS for some of the side effects I'm sure.

THANKS AGAIN

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
Adelaide Proctor

slimpickins5280
on 6/26/13 12:16 am - CO

I had both before surgery.

Keep a close eye on your thyroid meds. If you start feeling weird, get your bloodwork done. I was one of the lucky ones that got to go off my thyroid meds right after surgery. This isn't true for everyone, but I was sure happy about it.

Asthma might get better, but for me, it is still part of my daily life.

Good luck.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

lil1inside
on 6/27/13 5:20 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Thank you slimpickins, I will definitely remember your advice.  I hope I am lucky as you and get off them sooner than later!  Thank you for the encouragement!

Adelaide Proctor

mickeymantle
on 6/26/13 1:34 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

sorry you have problems

I funny thing the found out about people with asthma is that they usually grew up in a super clean house , kids that grow up in a dirty house  get much less asthma , so stop cleaning your house so your kids will be healthier lol

I have had asthma  since I was a teen and taking the right inhaler is no problem , there are some great meds out there now

probably best to get your asthma  and hypothyroidism under control before surgery

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

lil1inside
on 6/27/13 5:18 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Too funny, but I might try it "stop cleaning your house" gave me a big laugh today!  I'm glad to hear that you are dealing so well with and have for a long time (nice to hear this)!  Thank you!

Adelaide Proctor

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/26/13 2:26 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Be glad they found out before your surgery so you can get both under control before your big day. Your surgery will go better, the anesthesia will be safer and your recovery faster.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

lil1inside
on 6/27/13 5:16 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Thanks for all your help Kelly, I guess I just wanted to stay the "healthy fat girl" and felt safe that I didn't have too much wrong with me, so thanks for your encouragement earlier and now!!!!!

Adelaide Proctor

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views