VSG vs RNY

Valvlln
on 7/2/13 4:23 am - TN

Why did you choose VSG over the other options? Honestly i want the RNY but there's not any surgeons within a reasonable distance that accept my insurance( Americhioce) But there is one place that takes my insurance and offers VSG. So i'm with deciding to i get the VSG( eventhough i wanted a RNY) or give it yet another go and doing it alone without surgury. So im asking you VSG'rs why did you choose this particular option?

VSG on 06/12/13
I got my insurance approval for RNY but switched to VSG. My reasons:
1. I have a knee that'll need to be replaced eventually and want to preserve the ability to take NSAIDS
2. The spectre of reactive hypoglycemia scared me. My surgeon felt that given my labs, I was far less likely to be back in his office in 5 years complaining of low blood sugar.

Good luck on your journey!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

bostonlass
on 7/2/13 4:31 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

My doctor and I just made the decision for the VSG this morning. I can't wait!  There were two key points that swayed the decision:

1) I tend to get a lot of adhesions from surgeries and have many from my past csections and tubal ligation and gall bladder removal.  This won't be a problem with the sleeve but it would with RNY.

2) I take several medications for my fibromyalgia.  That won't go away after surgery like the hypertension and diabetes will, so I will still have to take them. The malabsorbtion with the RNY presents a problem with these medications.

I prayed and prayed over this because I couldn't decide one or the other so I'm glad that the decision was pretty much made for me. Good luck!

happyteacher
on 7/2/13 4:48 am

1.  No rerouting of intestines.  My mother died from cancer and had colon cancer.  I know it is irrational, but I just don't want to cut that part of my body up.

2.  No malabsorption.  I have a hard time remembering to be consistent with vitamins.

3.  Loss of ghrelin.  Not having the hunger hormone raging has been a huge, huge help.

4.  No dumping (or at least significantly less likely).  I teach young children and cannot just leave 30 kids who are 9 years old alone while I go deal with that.

5.  I can tolerate all foods. Nothing gets "stuck".  

6.  No restriction on medication.  I have asthma, allergies, cancer, and arthritis- I really need to keep all options open. 

7.  Just as successful (per my surgeon) as Rny.  Totally worked for me. 

8.  It can be revised to Rny or Ds if needed.  But you can't undo the others.  

Sugar is my demon.  My surgeon has gently suggested rny for me since I was diabetic.  I declined.  He is great at both procedures so no issues there.  I still struggle with sugar so time will tell if Rny would have been a better path.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

bostonlass
on 7/11/13 3:08 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Happy Teacher did your diabetes get better with the sleeve? That's the main reason I'm doing surgery at all - to help my diabetes to go into remission.Thanks.

danixbanani
on 7/2/13 5:15 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

My reasonings are similar to the poster above me.  I had a lapband and needed to revise and was left with the choice between the sleeve and RNY.  Here's why I chose the sleeve:

1. no rerouting of my intestines

2. no "blind stomach" that can still get ulcers and cancer

3. malabsorption, I am terrible with vitamin taking and I didn't want to look like a zombie if I didn't keep up.  A lot of people I know with RNY who don't get the right nutrients look ashen, sunken, pale, dark circles around the eyes, etc.

4. I didn't want another stoma like with the band where food could get stuck.

5. I did NOT want the dumping syndrome.  I dealt with enough puking while I had my band. I wanted to live a normal life if I decided to have something off-plan.

6. I wanted to lead a fairly normal life with a "normal" stomach.  My stomach isn't different, it's just smaller. 

7. VSG is just as successful as RNY

Overall, those are my reasonings and I am so beyond happy that I decided to have the sleeve.  My sister had RNY a few months before me and she still has trouble with meat.  I just didn't want to deal with certain restrictions on my eating, do you know what I mean?  I had a hard time with ANYTHING healthy (meats, veggies, etc) with the band and I was so sick and tired of it.  Now, I eat pretty much anything I want just in moderation.  Good luck with your choice.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Valvlln
on 7/2/13 5:38 am - TN
Thanks for all the replies. im on my way to a seminar now for the VSG.
hannahp
on 7/2/13 9:20 am - MS

These people have given you really great answers. I went in wanting the RNY but came of class thinking VSG might be best for me. After talking with my surgeon, he really wanted me to do the VSG. So, I'm getting sleeved tomorrow! ;-) Good luck making the decision. After educating yourself, the answer will "come to you." You know your body and youll know whats best.  

Hannah, 25

VSG: July 3, 2013

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." -C.S. Lewis

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 141 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 411 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 436 views