The Sleeve is not a Smart Surgery( my Dr. Appt. today) Vent

stephanieplum
on 7/11/13 8:03 am, edited 7/11/13 10:21 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Do I have your attention?  My gallbladder surgeon certainly had mine when he said words to me.  I was actually asking his opinion on my acid reflux and if he thought it would improve after my gallbladder removal.  The Bariatric  NP told me that she thought it would improve.  He said that it would not improve nor would it go away.  And, that he's hearing about VSG patients who are having terrible reflux, developing Barrett's Syndrome and esophagus cancer.  Then the next words out of his mouth were "I don't think it's very smart to have the sleeve surgery".  I was stunned!! I said, well...I can't go back.  What's done is done and I had to weigh all my options and decide if I wanted to be fat, unhealthy, high blood pressure, and my body hurting vs. some acid reflux.  Furthermore, the sleeve surgery is not a new procedure and all I was asking about was controlling acid reflux.  I was also trying to figure out if this is really reflux.  I've been on a PPI for a year.  I've had gallbladder issues.  He was telling me that often people are diagnosed with acid reflux when it's a gallbladder problem.  So, then my question is ...is my problem gallbladder related or acid reflux.  I really never had acid reflux before surgery; not often anyway.  I had gastritis but nothing that was too bothersome.  I left confused and angry.

I'm going to put a call into the WLS surgeon and get his opinion.  I really don't want to take a PPI of I don't need to.  I will if I have to...experiencing chest pressure, cough, lump in throat.  I was hoping it was rebound acid and go away.  It's not horrible, just annoying.

If you're still reading...thanks, I'm just venting!!!

I would like to ask what your acid reflux ****tail of choice is?

Laguerita13
on 7/11/13 8:08 am - Morristown, TN
I dont have a favorite coktail... but i have gerd acid reflux and ny doctor has me on ranitadine.... 300mg and 5 minutes after taking it my acid goes away. Sorry to hear your doctor said that.

Watson
on 7/11/13 8:28 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with

Same here that I don't have a favorite coktail, but I do have gerd acid reflux and my doctor has me on Ranitidine 300 mg twice a day (one table in the morning and one table in the evening). I have taken acid meds. at least 4 to 5 years before I had my VSG done and still taking acid reflux to this day. On a rare occasion I do take Gaviscon Extra Strength Liquid Antacid Cool Mint Flavor.

Highest Weight: 565 pounds (around 1999), Highest BMI: 94

Pre-op Weight: 476.40 pounds (2 weeks before {05/25/2010} VSG surgery), Pre-op BMI: 79.3

Lowest Weight: 153.5 pounds (as of 07/10/2013), Lowest BMI: 25.5

Current Weight: 350.75546 pounds (351 lb 0 oz./159.1 kilograms (as of 04/22/2019), Current BMI: 58.3

jen_vsg_4me
on 7/11/13 8:28 am - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

I had terrible acid reflux and hiatal hernia problems before my vsg.  I haven't even had heartburn or any trouble at all since my surgery over 5 months ago!  I think your gall bladder doctor is wrong.  He is entitled to his opinion, but I don't think he is well-informed.

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

happyteacher
on 7/11/13 12:20 pm

Ditto here. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

VSG on 06/12/13
Well, and what is the point of saying this a year after the surgery? Short sighted, narrow minded jerk. Can your sleeve surgeon do your GB?

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

stephanieplum
on 7/11/13 8:55 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I've already had the surgery.  This was a post-op appt.  Your words are too kind...when I got the car my poor husband had to hear me spew my venom.  lol

KnitsByMama
on 7/11/13 8:45 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I never had reflux prior to my VSG. Now, if I miss 2 days of my Prevacid I'm screwed. It burns & hurts so bad I'm in physical pain. I have Carafate for severe flare ups like that, but that's an as needed RX. And for what it's worth, I had a 97% blocked gallbladder at 3 months post-op, had it removed and it did NOTHING to improve my reflux. 

sarapilar
on 7/11/13 9:09 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I agree, I had my GB removed during my Sleeve surgery and I still developed bad acid reflux.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

sleevegirl
on 7/11/13 8:48 am - Austin, TX

I take Prilosec if I need it.

I guess those 224 pounds I've lost was a really stupid decision on my part. Oh well. Weird.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views