Surgery Prep

princesswimmer24
on 7/13/13 10:55 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Hubby's surgery is on Monday. We took measurements and pictures today. Also packed his suitcase for the hospital stay. He has a cpap so that will get packed on Monday morning. Hoping that we didn't forget anything. I ordered protein shake samples from unjury and syntrax nectar samples like some others had suggested so that he will have a variety of powders to try. We stocked up on some isopur and have yogurt, jello and pudding for him. I think we are as prepared as we can be right now. Please let me know if I've forgotten something or any other suggestions ya'll might have.

ShelleKarena
on 7/13/13 11:01 am
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Chap stick.  The hours between when he gets out of surgery and when he gets his upper GI test are very long and your mouth and lips can get quite dry.  My nurses let me gargle with water as long as I promised not to drink any of it.  This helped with dry mouth.  Most likely you will not need the protein in the hospital.  I am 3 days out of surgery and I still can't tolerate it.  Then again my sleeve is very small.  Also make sure he has very stretchy night pants or shorts or something so his ass doesn't flap in the wind when he gets up to walk.  I also brought my own pillow and blanket because the hospital does not always have enough.  Yogurt and Pudding won't be for a week or so after maybe longer.

princesswimmer24
on 7/13/13 11:11 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Thanks for the tips! The majority of the groceries I bought are also for me too lol I start my pre-op diet on the 22nd. I definitely will make sure he has some chap stick. We found out that he won't have to do the swallow test. Our surgeon hasn't ever had a leak, so unless you are showing symptoms they don't make you wait for it anymore and let you start sipping sooner.

gonna-be-sexy-nana
on 7/14/13 12:43 pm - CO
VSG on 09/30/13

?????????????????? and there never is a first time???????????????

that would bother me not to be tested to make sure. JMO thoughenlightened

Phyllis

themexcellentone
on 7/13/13 11:24 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

While he is in the hospital, I would ask for an abdominal binder.  I was given one and it made all the difference in helping reduce the pain and soreness while I walked and sat.  I am still using it here at home and it really does help keep everything from jiggling quite as much. 

Also the Chocolate Splendor from Unjury is the bomb.  It is the only chocolate protein powder I have been able to tolerate.

Good luck and I hope his surgery goes off well!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

princesswimmer24
on 7/13/13 11:42 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Thanks for the info!

Joy M.
on 7/13/13 3:19 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

All this is really helpful as I wrap my brain around things getting ready for surgery.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views