hungry pre op

Joy M.
on 7/15/13 7:50 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I'm still another week and a few days to my pre op diet and all I've had is two pieces of daves killer bread seed bread toast and milk for breakfast and I'm starving. I'm trying to start training my body for this pre op diet and I don't know how I will do it when my stomach growls constantly and I get a headache from being hungry. Oh well, early dinner of salmon, rice and veggies here I come.

datachick
on 7/15/13 8:02 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

you can only eat bread all day? that's a ****ty diet. No wonder you are starving.

how about some lean meats? turkey, chicken, fish? or oatmeal? yogurt? cottage cheese? veg? fruit? cheese stick? nuts?

I don't think "pre-op diet" means starvation--just less food.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

themexcellentone
on 7/15/13 8:14 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Eating bread and rice won't get you ready for pre-op dieting.  At. All.  Try to do the following:

• Eat 3 meals a day.  Don't skip any.  If you can get in a couple of small high protein snacks, do it.  This is how you will eat post-op once you are able to eat again.
  • Choose high protein foods.  Bread and rice aren't that, so maybe have a scrambled egg and turkey sausage for breakfast instead of milk and toast.  You'll stay full longer and won't feel icky.  Also cutting your starchy carbs now will make easing into pre-op eating a little easier.
  • Be sure you're drinking plenty of water.  Sometimes what we think is hunger is actually thirst.

I pre-op dieted for 3 weeks and once I gave up starchy carbs, I felt tremendously better.  I had a lot more energy, my blood sugar was better (I am diabetic) and all the swelling I had in my legs and feet disappeared.  I kept my carbs during pre-op dieting below 50 grams a day and my protein between 80-100 grams a day and plan to do so now that I am post op since I felt so good and had great results with that.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Joy M.
on 7/15/13 8:40 am
VSG on 08/06/13

No I just meant that's all I had to eat so far, but I'm trying to not eat much to prepare myself and I know bread is not on my pre op diet. That's just what I had for breakfast. And when I counted the calories on my fitness pal that's 1/3 of my calories for the day. Yikes.

butterfly3851
on 7/15/13 9:21 am - TX

I know it's tough but now is the time to give up the carbs & sugar!  You will feel like a different person after three days!  Protein, protein and more protein.  It doesn't take long for the hunger to diminish with all the protein!  It's not like you will never eat a carb again - just not right now!

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/13 10:53 am

It takes 2 to 3 days for your body to feel less hungry.  You can do.  I have been trying to eat less as well getting ready for my 10 pre-op diet which starts next week.  Good luck to you.

Joy M.
on 7/15/13 11:14 am
VSG on 08/06/13

My pre op diet allows one serving of starch and in my protein shakes fruit is included. I know that I will not get starch after for at least a month. Uggg this is going to be hard.

Nancybefree
on 7/15/13 11:47 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

What precisely does your preop plan say about that one serving of starch per day?  Are you given a measured amount to have from a select group of carb foods, or can you pick anything in any quantity?

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

DJordan
on 7/15/13 4:43 pm - MA

Hi Joy... I'm day 6 in my pre-op diet.. The hardest for me so far is the people at work eating chips, cakes or whatever they want.  grrr!!! I figure, I'll have to deal with it anyways. 

Before my pre op diet, I took the time to start with at least one protein shake a day to #1 see what I like and #2 start getting used to it. 

My pre op diet is:

3-4 Shakes or protein soup, 2-3 pieces of fruit, my "Meal" Salad of 2 cups lettuce, 1 cup of raw mix veg and 4 oz of protein + Water water water!!!

Try cutting down on Starches and Caffeine now.. it will make it a little easier.

:)  Good luck

Joy M.
on 7/16/13 2:00 am
VSG on 08/06/13

The starch has to be whole wheat. But if I have corn that's a starch. We get 2 protein shakes one for breakfast and one for lunch and a small meal for dinner that includes a protein of 4 ounces or less and a starch whole grain and as many non starchy vegetables we want throughout the day. So I can eat as much broccoli cauliflaur carrots spinage or salad we want. I guess that's good. 

Most Active