Goal weight blues

Joshua B.
on 7/15/13 1:24 am - Ridley Park, PA
VSG on 12/05/12

Is anyone else bumming out cause they are getting real close to their goal weight. I don't know if it's because I'm enjoying the weight loss, or if it's a feeling of 'what do I do now'. I'm 8lbs away from goal, and already stressing. My goal was 200lbs, but my ideal weight for my height is 185lbs. I may lower my goal based on what my doc says. Just wondering if others fell or felt the same way.

Shagdoll
on 7/15/13 1:37 am

Actually my problem was getting too comfortable as I got closer to goal.  I guess you could say I reached my goal but never really lost a few extra pounds for that cushy bounceback.  Now I regret it being 23 months out since it's a little harder to get those last pounds off. 

Wow, I wish I could say I was enjoying the weight loss phase!  Well, I guess I did because it was nice to see the scale go down but I was letting myself get discouraged when I stayed on plan but the scale didn't budge to go down faster.  I know I needed to tough it out but it's all good.  I'm happy now & even though I still need to lose a few, I am trying to make it fun again.

I'd say enjoy the continued weight loss to your 2nd goal, I really don't think you will regret going lower!!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

ravenbrown
on 7/15/13 2:09 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Yes!  I think it's normal.  At least, I hope it is.  I've had some pretty bad weeks (not food-wise) but just feeling really down.  I hit my original goal at 8 months (I was a little over 100% EWL), but then I revised my goal to be where I really wanted to be but have never gotten as an adult.  I think, for me, it's about knowing how to lose weight but not really knowing how to maintain.  I'm not a moderate person so weight maintenance is very scary for me.  I'm working on feeling proud of the work I've done and improving my fitness.  I'm working on having a plan for maintenance like I have a plan for weight loss, so I can at least have the illusion of some control.  Have you read Elina's maintenance post from last week?  I found it really inspirational.  Guidelines and structure are important to me.  There is still the feeling of "What will I do then?" but I'm trying to calm that anxiety down bc I don't think maintenance has to look that much different than weight loss.  Maybe what it really is just fear of the unknown.  We're comfortable losing weight, but the real fight begins when we really just start maintaining and figuring out what that looks like.  Good luck!  You are definitely not alone.

vogue
on 7/15/13 2:20 am
VSG on 08/30/12
Im kinda bummed too... Im now at "normal" BMI but can stand to lose more pounds... yet I dont want to get smaller in size... I dont like the way my neck is looking and we all know we cannot spot lose...
I think as winter comes, it will make maintenance easy for me, as I will be doing less activities....
Member Services
on 7/15/13 3:07 am - Irvine, CA

Jls8877
on 7/15/13 4:02 am, edited 7/15/13 10:59 am
This was me a few weeks before I hit my goal. It's almost like "ok, what now?". I have been in maintanance for a very short time but my days are really the same. It will all fall in to place! I recommend setting some non scale oriented goals. I'm training for a half marathon. It is keeping me motivated and helping with my maintanance.
slimpickins5280
on 7/15/13 4:10 am - CO

This is why having non-scale goals is so important. When all of the euphoria and feelings of success are attached to the scale, it's a recipe for disaster.

Time to refocus your goals on something besides the scale so that you can breeze right through the last 8 lbs without thinking "now what?"

Think of it like having a teenager in the house. The bored teenager with nothing to do is a dangerous teenager, imo. But, a teenager with lots of OTHER activities to keep them busy wakes up one day to find out that they are strong independent young adults with more sustainable goals. (This may not make sense to you, but I have teenagers, so it is in my face every day.)

Find news goal that don't have the word "scale" anywhere in the name or description.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

ravenbrown
on 7/15/13 6:14 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I think you're just awesome.  I love your perspective always, and especially this response.

datachick
on 7/15/13 4:34 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

This is a great topic for me as well. I passed my original 'failsafe' goal, now am at what my surgeon's goal would be (if i calculate BMI), my trainer says i can get even lower. I'm sure I can, but all of these fears of "what then?" are creeping in. I've already decided i'm going to get my body fat % tested at regular intervals and use that as a measure of how I'm doing, because even now the scale isn't the whole story. And sign up for 5k's or other little adventures like that regularly, something I can measure to like time or distance or something...something I can measure to make sure I keep conditioning and eating properly. But really, there's a big dark voice in there some where, wondering how on earth I'm going to keep this weight off for the rest of my life. I guess I don't trust myself enough yet. Grateful that my wife got RNY two weeks after I did, so she can help with those fears. She just replies "you'll do it" like that's a fact. End of story. Seems like such an easy sentence to say but so twisted and difficult in my head. One day at a time I guess.....

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

prairie-dog-girl
on 7/15/13 8:14 am

I'm close to goal, but, struggling for different reasons. I've lost 120# and want to lose 20 more. I've been very depressed about what my body looks like. My abdomen looks like a sharpei  dog and is sitting on my thighs .My breasts are about even with my belly button. My insurance does not cover any plastics. Even though  improving my health is my number one priority, looking nicer and enjoying it would be nice. Been very bummed I can't afford a new wardrobe or plastics. I know I need to get over it, but, that's where I am right now.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 84 views