RNY VS Sleeve

NurseBrandy
on 8/5/13 3:41 pm

My time is getting closer. I have been totally set on having the RNY, simply because I think I need the strong slap on the hand. Ive read that dumping is much worse with RNY. I've yo-yo'd since I was 18 years old with my weight. Hoping for surgery next month. Any insight would be appreciated. I know the differences between the two, but if anyone would give there input on which one they think is better please share :)

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/13 5:58 pm, edited 8/5/13 6:03 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Only 30% of RNY'ers actually dump. If you are counting on that to keep you on track, you are gambling that you will win that bet with the odds against you. More complications statistically with RNY vs. VSG. Longer operating time. Malabsorption of calories lasts around 24 months and then you are left with restriction only just like the VSG (vitamin malabsorption lasts forever with the RNY though). The weight loss kept off after 3-5 years is quite close between the two, depending on which study you read. If you only have 100 lbs to lose, you might lose 5-10 pounds more with the RNY (MIGHT) statistically speaking. Many who have VSG lose 100% excess weight. Some people DO only lose 60-70%. It just depends on their compliance to eating healthy or whether their metabolism is out of whack, just depends Whether you have RNY or VSG, you will have to watch what you eat. Some people with RNY also only lose 60-70% excess weight also.  Even SOME people who dump after RNY continue to eat sweets and junk. They simply eat it and face the nasty consequences anyway, knowing full well what will happen if they do eat it. I've seen it with my own eyes with a couple of people I know within my family who had RNY.

Jackie T.
on 8/6/13 12:01 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You have to choose the surgery that is medically better for you.  I did not want my insides rerouted and I do experience headaches and wanted to be able to take ibuprofen for aches and pains which you can not do with the RNY or the DS.  I had the sleeve and I am exactly the way I was before the surgery except that my stomach is smaller.  Depending on what charts you look at, I was carrying a minimum of 125lbs of excess body weight.  I knew with whatever surgery I chose, I would need to be compliant and change my relationship with food and my bad habits.  This was not about a race on how fast I could get the weight off but more of what would be best for me long term.  Now I know there are some that have done it faster and slower but I don't think 106lbs in 7.5 months is too bad. 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views