Feeling encouraged for the first time in a VERY long while

KrissyMisssy
on 8/8/13 7:36 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

I'm so glad that I've found this website and have so many other people I can relate to as I begin my bariatric surgery journey. I kept looking through the testimonials and before & after photos and couldn't stop crying. I kept reading blog posts and couldn't help but to be so excited when people who shared the same problems I have overcome their battle with obesity. I empathize with the struggles of being "fat", and my eyes welled up with tears when you got word that the insurance approved it and set a date. I held my breath when I read the final pre-surgery posts, and let out a sigh of relief when you posted that everything went well. Most of all, I rejoiced with you as I read that you are seeing successful results long-term and are now living full and wonderful lives that you never though were possible just a short time ago.

I can't even explain what I'm feeling right now, other than to just say I'm so encouraged right now. I've been in a very bad place lately and knowing that everything could change in just a few months gives me so much hope. So thank you to everyone who has shared their personal and private journey to help encourage and support others. It truly means more than you know!

With that being said, I will admit that I am totally new to the world of bariatric surgery. Although basically everyone in my family is morbidly obese (mother & father, aunts, 3 out of 4 grandparents, and all 3 sisters), I don't know anyone else who has had the surgery, so everything I know about the procedure is from what I've read online and the personal accounts I've read on this website. But I am determined to find out as much as I can, because with any luck I'll be getting the surgery soon! 

I had my consultation with the surgeon yesterday, and was told that I am a candidate and I think I've decided on the sleeve. I'm required to have 6 months of doctor visits, and have seen my doctor 3 times in the last few months. Although not consecutive, I hope my insurance accepts them and counts them toward the 6 I need. I have another appointment on 8-20 at the surgeon's office, so I guess I will find out more then! 

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/13 11:46 am
Good luck!!! My insurance required 6 months of doctor's visits as well. But lucky it didn't have to be consecutive. Hope that's the case with you.
Nancybefree
on 8/8/13 8:05 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

There is such hope with this surgery, but always be mindful that you need to take care of yourself postop by eating according to plan and by exercising.  It's a different way of eating and looking at food in general, but the benefits and rewards can be terrific.

Hopefully you will have the same luck that I had regarding the six months of doctor visits.  I had been seeing my PCP regularly for other issues, so she was able to document my weight history of literally years for the insurance company right away.  One less hoop to jump.

I wish you all the best in your own journey.  Keep doing your research.  The search function on this website can help a lot with pinpointing specific concerns you might want to examine.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Antimony40
on 8/8/13 8:06 pm - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

Not sure how your surgeon does it, but i was required 3 months (versus your 6) with a "supervised weight loss" - which effectively meant I was meeting with the exercise physiologist and nutritionist, and prepping for my surgery--so I would think the 3 visits with your doctor won't count--but looking back, I'm glad I had that 3 months with my surgeon's team to get ready...I would not have been mentally ready without it.

My best advice to you--read everything you can here--not just the VSG page, but the RNY page, the Band page, the general pages, the Plastic Surgery pages...read everything you can--learn, ask, read, weigh...research!!  Arm yourself with information you need.  Reach out to people who have used your perspective surgeon... (and REALLY, you still won't feel "ready" the day of the surgery, but you will get some "OJT" and do great, I'm sure!)

Congratulations on the first step--you've got a great attitude and that's a tremendous start!

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

KrissyMisssy
on 8/9/13 3:38 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13
Thanks so much for the replies, everyone! It means a lot to know there are others on here that care enough to reach out and offer support. And I'm really glad to know that some of you weren't required to have doctor visits for consecutive months.

I had another appointment with my primary care doctor, and we discussed my options for losing weight pre-op. I've tried Phentermine several times in the past, but never stuck with it because in my head I knew that as soon as I stopped taking it, I was going to go right back to eating huge portions. But! I'm sticking with it this time! No excuses!

And I have a home gym that my husband set up for me. A few years ago, I convinced him that I was set on losing weight, so he got the elliptical, bike, treadmill, and the weight tower thingy. I only used it for a few months... So here's my plan: I'm super stingy. It's actually an ongoing joke in my family that I never spend money on things that I don't absolutely have to (which I'm sure will change once I can fit into cute clothes! My husband will be broke lol). I can get a gym membership for $20/month, and since I'm paying for it, I really feel like I'll use it, and feel guilty if I don't. Plus, they provide free childcare, and that's my biggest excuse for not exercising is lack of someone to watch my 13 month old.

So, along with getting rid of all the "bad" food in the house and doing healthier shopping, that's my plan!

KrissyMisssy
on 8/9/13 3:41 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13
Oh, and one more thing! The appointment I had with my doctor today was the first where I'd mentioned bariatric surgery, and her eyes lit up when I told her! She informed me that she had just had the GSV done a few weeks ago, and it was the best thing she's ever done for herself. In fact, she said she wished she'd had it done years ago! Talk about encouraging!

Most Active