One week postop

princesswimmer24
on 8/12/13 3:06 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Well I was sleeved last Monday and let's just say it hasn't been a walk in the park. The pain/nausea has been pretty intense. I've struggled really hard to even get in 20-30oz of liquid. The surgeon wants me to take it slow due to the nausea, he says a little is better than throwing up if I take too much. This was my 10th abdominal surgery and he feels that is why I'm just not bouncing back very well. Also I had been sick for about 3 weeks leading up to the surgery. He doesn't think anything is wrong, just thinks my body is taking it's sweet time recovering.

I have read so many posts on here about the constipation issues, but I have had the complete opposite. I have had diarrhea every 3-4 hours since Thursday. Will this clear up once I can have some real food in me??

On a good note, I weighed today and I lost 14lbs since surgery!! It's good to know that all this pain isn't for nothing. I know I haven't been as active this past week, but I am reading as much as I can and soaking up all the knowledge I can from the veterans. I appreciate everyone that posts on here and I look forward to sharing my journey with ya'll!

Tracy D.
on 8/12/13 3:24 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hey there - sorry to hear that you're battling pain and nausea AND diarreha.   The diarreha part should resolve itself once you've got all those narcs out of your system and you're eating some real food. 

Congrats on the 14 lb. loss -- welcome to the loser's bench, hon! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

princesswimmer24
on 8/12/13 4:20 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Thanks!

suzie2241
on 8/12/13 3:56 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Sorry you are not feeling so well.  The diarhea is normal - liquid in/liquid out.  It'll ease up in no time.

Did he give you anything for the nausea? My surgeon had me on anti-nausea meds for about a week after the surgery.

Feel better and welcome!

Sue

princesswimmer24
on 8/12/13 4:19 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

They gave me Zofran because it is sublingual, but Zofran didn't work for me in the hospital and they gave me Phenergan which worked great. Only problem is I would have to crush the pill and it tastes horrible and I think it would make the nausea worse. I have a really hard time getting my pills in. They make me really sick for about 45mins to an hour after taking them.

Yocie
on 8/12/13 4:51 am
VSG on 11/06/12

I had a lot of problem with nausea for quite a while too. My Dr. prescribed a " Transdermal scope patch". They are the little disc's that go behind your ear, and they were really effective for me. It might be something to ask about if the nausea continues. I wish you well, and quick recovery.

princesswimmer24
on 8/12/13 5:05 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Thank You! They tried that while I was in the hospital and it wasn't very effective for me.

Joy M.
on 8/12/13 5:45 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I'm right there with you! Dizzy, food make me go blah! I don't know how everyone on this site isn't as miserable. I've never had surgery and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I've been constipated but that the least of my worries, on my period and not eating enough I'm so weak I can't walk far without getting sick feeling. I sure hope this was worth it.

Yocie
on 8/12/13 6:23 am
VSG on 11/06/12

For a LONG time I said, "I can't believe I did this to myself"......but it was worth it. You will feel better soon, I wish you well.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/13 8:29 am

This was my first abdominal surgery and it's been pretty tough on me as well. Today is the first day I feel somewhat lucid. I've been forcing myself to get up and move around. My husband and I walk around our home (1 acre of land) twice a day. I try not to compare myself too much to others here because I just cant get up and walk around the block at this point in my recovery. Another victory for me today was the fact that I havent had to use my zofran at all! I'm hoping you gradually get to a point where you're at least comfortable. Congrats on the 14 lb weight loss!! I have to take it on faith that these vets know what they are talking about and one day I wont regret it...

Most Active