OMG! I think I'm gonna have my stomach cut out! And booey? question...

sarah G.
on 8/19/13 12:20 pm
VSG on 10/10/13

On Thursday I had my physc evaluation, followed on Friday by an upper GI.Two very fun filled days!  Lol  I was so scared to have the upper GI! I pictured myself running out the front doors in that crazy hospital gown and goofy socks with my big ol' white butt shining bright! I can't imagine what my surgery day is going to be like.   I did find out that I have a hiatal hernia that I didn't know about.  Anyway, I am now awaiting final insurance approval....

Doc's office said I should have that within 2 weeks and then they will schedule me for approximately 3-5 after that.  Even though I have been working through the process of getting this done, and reading all your post every night to find out all I can....I can't believe I'm having this done!  I didn't know I could be so excited and scared to death at the same time.

One question...My surgeon uses a 34 boogey, and it seems like most of the post I've read, they have been larger...Anyone with a 34 care to comment?  Anyone with a larger one, please share your thoughts.  I have liked everything my surgeon has had to say...but I'm a little thrown by this.

Thank you for letting me lurk around and learn from all of you.

SarahG

mickeymantle
on 8/19/13 2:57 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i have a lose 34 f which is like a very tight 36 f, thats the way my surgeon likes to make them , he says that smaller ones have more problems ,leaks problems drinking at first , he also said that after 1 year there all about the same size , and the starting size is very little difference,like the size of a bic pen compared to the pens cap 

I can eat 4 oz of almost anything at 4 weeks , it takes all day to drink my water , but I never get sick

I have been eating 400- 650cal a day 65-75 gm protein 25-50 carbs mostly 25-30

im starting to add some veggies in because of constipation

in the past they used to use a 50-65f and they started to make them smaller to get better results even tho many people did great with the larger sleeves

Its not the size of the sleeve its what you put in it that counts ,If you stick to your plan any size sleeve will work

seems most surgeons use 32f- 36f , some use the same size on everyone and some pick what size bases on you stomach length

im shore you will do fine

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

claimmaster
on 8/19/13 8:27 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I have a tight 32f, and I had no problems drinking or eating as the stages progressed.  I can comfortably eat 1.5-2 oz of dense protein, and more of softer foods.  I can eat 2 poached eggs.  I've never gotten sick on anything, never thrown up, got the foamies, none of it.  I'm thrilled with my sleeve.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

emelar
on 8/20/13 1:32 am - TX

The most common range for the bougie is 32F-36F, but I've seen as small as 28F and as large as 46F.  Your doc is right in the middle of the range.  You'll be fine!

happyteacher
on 8/20/13 9:33 am

Your surgeon should use what he or she is good at using.  You don't want them using one smaller than what they are comfortable with- 

If that is the norm for the surgeon and he/she has a lot of successful experience with it than no problem. 

I have a much larger sleeve- 40 or 44.  (I don't remember exactly.) No side effects, made it to goal no problem, and thus far maintenance has been a breeze.  I also appreciate that I am able to eat a small normal sized meal when desired so going out with coworkers is not so awkward since I did not announce at work that I had it done.  

Some vets here will say the smaller sleeve size is critical because it makes everything easier with the better restriction.  Can't compare, since I have a loosely sewn large sleeve.  I think people can be successful big or small, and also not do so great big or small.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views