Feeling very discouraged

GreenEyedAngel
on 8/25/13 4:36 am - Greenville, IL

I had my sleeve on 7/11/13 and by 8/6/13 I was down from 286 day of surgery to 255. Now I am at 260 and and havent lost anything for 2 weeks. I dont know what I am doing wrong, I cry everything feeling like I did this for nothing. I have 2 protein shakes a day for 60g of protein and eat a very small meal like grilled chicken and grilled zucchini for a total daily calorie intake of 600cal or under. I go to the gym 3 days a week and exercise from 30 to 90 minutes depending on what I do. I drink at least 50oz of fluids a day, I have been suffering from constipation going about a week at a time between bowel movements. I was sad when I went a week without losing but feeling devastated now that i have gained back 5lbs. Any advice or words of wisdom of comfort would be appreciated.

Nikke2003
on 8/25/13 5:00 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13
You definitely need to drink more water. 64 oz is an absolute minimum of what you should be getting.

Also, I would suggest taking miralax every day to get your BMS regular.

Hang in there!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Tracy D.
on 8/25/13 5:11 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
You're not gaining fat - you are retaining water because you aren't drinking enough. With your exercise you should be shooting for 80 oz a day.

I echo Nikke - start with some Miralax or Benefiber. Both are gentle enough to use every day. It might take 2-3 days o get things moving. And it's even MORE important to up the water when you take these.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Bella Italiana
on 8/25/13 5:13 am
VSG on 08/17/13
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/13 5:19 am

First, take a breath and stop crying.  You are doing just fine.  You are probably in the normal stall that most of us go through and it will pass.  The advice you are getting to increase your protein to at least 80 and increase your water is good.  You might also want to start taking Miralax or something like it to help you get more regular.  You did not gain any fat, only water and waste and that will leave soon.  Keep your calories about the same but make sure most of them are coming from protein.  You can do this.

pineview01
on 8/25/13 5:28 am, edited 8/25/13 5:30 am - Davison, MI

You are five weeks out and it is normal to go thru this at this time.  Your body has to adjust to the big drop in pounds, 31 in three weeks.  Awesome by the way.  I also gained a few back at 3-5 weeks, I was a revision and didn't have to lose at much as some.  Don't get discouraged.

At three-five weeks I was

1)  still on soft foods and having three shakes a day for my 60g protein plus I was getting 20-30 more from food and worked up to 100-120 g protein a day by 3months

2****pt my carbs down below 30

3) I had a min of 64 oz water and aimed for 100 oz.

My lose looked like, lose a large amount, gain it back and slowly go back to the lower weight, drop a large amount gain some back and slowly go back down to the low number.  Many report a lose a stale a lose.

You may just do it like me and only one other in our Jan group that reported not just the three week stale but a little gain.

Good luck and keep on keeping on, and drink more

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

mmmesser
on 8/25/13 5:42 am

Yeah...fluids is a must...this will help with the constipation too.  Do you have the protein powder that mixes and tastes like a juice??  I ask that to say that you may want to look into investing into that and that would allow for an increase in protein and fluids with little calories.  You also exercise moderately which means you are sweating our your fluids.  50 is not near enough given your activity level.  I would be more focused on that at this point than calories or protein (I say that because it sounds like you've got that pretty well under control already).  Do you like decaf tea?  I've noticed that I drink more when I drink my tea...just some ideas....but I really do think that fluids is the main thing to focus on here vs. weight.

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/25/13 5:51 am
Hang in there it all gets better with time.
claimmaster
on 8/25/13 5:56 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I feel for ya, because I'm going through the same thing.  It only makes sense that if we keep doing what we're doing, we WILL lose weight eventually.  We both need to just hang in there.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Member Services
on 8/25/13 6:28 am - Irvine, CA

OH member responses have been great!  Listen to what they are saying, they have been where you are.  You can do this!!!!

Here is an article about the importance of water:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/water-wonders-your-bodys -best-friend/

Best wishes.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views