Iron Deficiency

Christine Heusinger
on 9/3/13 1:53 am - GA

When I had my FIRST set of labs done (pre-surgery) my Ferritin (over-all Iron) was 30. At my three month check-up it had dropped to 16 and at my 6 month check-up it had dropped to 8.

At this point my surgeon recommended an iron supplement and a visit to a hematologist.

I started reviewing my over-all diet since surgery and it was obvious to me that I was NOT eating any iron-rich food at all. Zero. Zip. Nada.

I immediately started an iron supplement and adding iron rich foods to my diet.

Instead of going to the hematologist I had my regular annual visit with my PCP.  He agreed with me that I was taking the correct steps and that unless my NEXT set of labs didn't show a marked improvement I could forgo the visit to the hematologist.

Anybody else have a big drop in iron post-surgery?

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

AnnieinIA
on 9/3/13 2:23 am
I predict others will chime in that they DID have a deficiency post op. However, I had the opposite experience and my iron level shot up sky high post op because my NUT said to take a multi with iron. For me, that was very bad advice.

The reason I say this is because I think it's important for everyone to go by what their labs show and not think one size fits all.

Annie
calibelle
on 9/3/13 6:03 am

Hey there!

My iron was a 7 at its lowest.  I had dark circles under my eyes and was so tired I can not stay awake for the whole day.  I had crazy periods after the surgery and the hematologist decided that was the culprit, though I have had heavy periods my entire life. I was given iron by IV and a supplement for 6 months, I also started eating more iron rich foods.  I also discovered that I have the sickle cell trait which may or may not increase my chances of having bouts of anemia. Any after 6 months things were normal again.

I have been off track for the last year and have not been taking the supplement and my iron is tanking out again.  

Christine Heusinger
on 9/3/13 10:46 pm - GA

Oh my goodness! I sure hope you get back on your iron supplement and take care of yourself.

datachick
on 9/3/13 6:45 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Yes. One day I just could not wake up. It wasn't like I'd slept poorly--I was just so deep-down tired, it sort of scared me. I emailed work and said I was taking the day off, a co-worker I don't even like said that happened to him and it was iron deficiency. I looked at one of the reports in MFP and saw I was only getting like 20% rda. I looked at our multi-vitamin and because we get chewables (both wife and I have had WLS) they are over-50 yr women's chewables and have no iron. I also have had very heavy periods since surgery, unlike prior to surgery when they were few-and-far-between and lasted only 10 minutes (I'm 49). So...I'm not too stupid...I ate some iron. I've never experienced such a thing: within hours I felt like a new person. I couldn't believe it. It's now part of my daily regimen.

Ginger

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Christine Heusinger
on 9/3/13 10:48 pm - GA

Ginger, I see that you and I started at about the same weight and YOU have reached MY GOAL! Congratulations!!!  My weight loss has been very slow and I was stuck at a plateau for about two months. I finally broke it by gearing up my exercise routine and adding 15 minutes as well.

How long have you been at goal??

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views